Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I must admit although I have played it at every gig and most practices, mine still doesn't feel indispensable. If I lost it I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to replace it.

I mostly use mine at home playing along to music. When I’ve used it live and practice I’ve noticed it less because I’m in front of my amp so could probably go without. But for headphones it’s essential for me now! Well of course with the floorboard too 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Just had an update RE the Backbeat G2

It will use a user replaceable 18650 battery giving more power and charging will be via USB3!

Still sounds great - I’ve put myself down for the pre order in Feb. Waiting on info re cabling maybe next. 

178488CD-1D88-476F-B5EF-A878D6EEDC83.jpeg

This is a big plus for me. I'm down for a preorder too. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having got somewhat fed up with the jacks pulling out of my Backbeat I set about making a clamp system to hold them in.  At the same time I followed Higgie's idea of two short cable which live with the Backbeat and strap. I thought about all sorts of ways to do it and the simplest way seemed to be using the nuts on the jack socket to anchor the clamp to the case.  I found Neutrik jacks were too large and difficult to anchor however these Amphenol jacks have a convenient shoulder to clamp against.  No problems so far.

DSC01893.thumb.JPG.651f352925e94ff60cf5118c95b44a48.JPG

DSC01894.thumb.JPG.4b272931f10ec5c34b6dd00aa92c7658.JPG

DSC01897.thumb.JPG.10d21fc8611fd8a53e10a793538c69da.JPG

DSC01895.thumb.JPG.4e8ad1cac88151db7498297e1bf99a47.JPG

• Like 8

I never understood why they went with this design. It was either crying out for locking neutiks, or side mounted sockets to be used with right angled jacks.

God only knows what they are planning with this breakout cable nonsense on version 2.

Anyway, nice bracket though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I never understood why they went with this design. It was either crying out for locking neutiks, or side mounted sockets to be used with right angled jacks.

God only knows what they are planning with this breakout cable nonsense on version 2.

Version 2 has side mounted jacks. 

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

To be fair for a first attempt I think the thing is fantastic - V2 will be interesting; I've just had some info about the tactile buttons, backlighting, and build (coated in rubber)

Just now, EBS_freak said:

All good. But breakout cables 😕

So what's that going to look like? A single cable from bass to unit to output? They haven't released anything official with regards to the inputs/outputs as far as I know

1 hour ago, ped said:

So what's that going to look like? A single cable from bass to unit to output? They haven't released anything official with regards to the inputs/outputs as far as I know

My guess is a two circuit cable of unknown performance using the tip and ring of a TRS jack at the BackBeat end.  The other end splitting into 2 cables, one with a jack for the instrument and the other a jack socket for the output.  In other words a single cable version of what I have but with much less flexibility in terms of customer customisation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, obbm said:

Having got somewhat fed up with the jacks pulling out of my Backbeat I set about making a clamp system to hold them in.  At the same time I followed Higgie's idea of two short cable which live with the Backbeat and strap. I thought about all sorts of ways to do it and the simplest way seemed to be using the nuts on the jack socket to anchor the clamp to the case.  I found Neutrik jacks were too large and difficult to anchor however these Amphenol jacks have a convenient shoulder to clamp against.  No problems so far.

DSC01893.thumb.JPG.651f352925e94ff60cf5118c95b44a48.JPG

DSC01894.thumb.JPG.4b272931f10ec5c34b6dd00aa92c7658.JPG

DSC01897.thumb.JPG.10d21fc8611fd8a53e10a793538c69da.JPG

DSC01895.thumb.JPG.4e8ad1cac88151db7498297e1bf99a47.JPG

Excellent! I’d had a similar idea but didn’t know how to implement it. Sterling effort there mate!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ped said:

F521E93A-5CE8-4006-AA01-BAE9F987A674.jpeg

I like the idea of the Backbeat end of the jack actually fitting into the body of the Backbeat so it’s harder to be pulled out. But the bass end just looks terrible. Especially if the jack on your bass is front mounted!

Loving the new strap mount though!

Edited by Higgie

10 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Was just looking at this in the email they sent out. I’m just wondering how this will work with systems like the Waza Air and Nu-X Mighty Plug. Presumably they’d have to plug in to socket #2? Feels like it would be ungainly?

Or if you have a strap mounted transmitter then you'd need another cable going back towards the BackBeat, so two cables again.  I see no benefit in the new style whatsoever.

The right-angle jack plug is described as “offering a smooth form fitting profile”. It looks like this might be somewhat proprietary and I wonder whether other right-angled jacks would fit properly. The cable could become a single point of failure and replacing it could be problematic.

I’m not entirely convinced about this particular bit of the design as it doesn’t seem like they’ve thought through all of the use cases. Time will tell I guess. 

1FFB86AC-6D89-4FE0-B7D0-7797966C435B.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Velarian said:

The right-angle jack plug is described as “offering a smooth form fitting profile”. It looks like this might be somewhat proprietary and I wonder whether other right-angled jacks would fit properly. The cable could become a single point of failure and replacing it could be problematic.

I know from my days in the Broadcast Industry that proprietary cables are a very negative selling point.  For such a mission-critical component users always want an alternative source. 

• Like 4

Seeing this new arrangement got me thinking so I've just had a look at a spare Backbeat circuit board that I have.  The 1/4-inch two jacks are wired in parallel so the connections to the Backbeat are a loop-through and it just sits across the signal path and, as they say, takes a sniff of the bass output signal.  That being the case it would be quite possible to replicate the new arrangement by making a cable with a right-angle jack for the instrument with 2 cables coming out, one going to an in-line locking jack socket, the other to the Backbeat input.  Now where did I put my soldering iron? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Velarian said:

I’m not entirely convinced about this particular bit of the design as it doesn’t seem like they’ve thought through all of the use cases. Time will tell I guess. 

1FFB86AC-6D89-4FE0-B7D0-7797966C435B.jpeg

What a sack. Over engineered, with a custom cable, that is prone to failure.

And before anybody says, cables do - and will - fail. Especially if they aren't in a fixed installation. Looking at the connection, that could render it useless on a tour. You can't just knock up another cable from the spares box.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, obbm said:

Seeing this new arrangement got me thinking so I've just had a look at a spare Backbeat circuit board that I have.  The 1/4-inch two jacks are wired in parallel so the connections to the Backbeat are a loop-through and it just sits across the signal path and, as they say, takes a sniff of the bass output signal.  That being the case it would be quite possible to replicate the new arrangement by making a cable with a right-angle jack for the instrument with 2 cables coming out, one going to an in-line locking jack socket, the other to the Backbeat input.  Now where did I put my soldering iron? 

How about a slim cable terminated with a locking 3.5mm Sennheiser locking jack socket arrangement if the weight of a cable up to the backbeat is a problem.