Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

• 2 months later...

I just picked one of these up secondhand.

I went from 'I'll try it out and see if I like it' to absolutely adoring it in about 2 seconds flat. 

I really really like this thing. It really helps me with something I have sometimes struggled with when playing through headphones, which is playing a bit too hard because I'm not getting the 'feeling' of the note. 

I tried it even when I was playing through my amp. I often play lower volume jazz gigs....I loved it when playing low volume too. It adds to the experience. 

Works a peach with my 5 string as well as the 4. The low B is mighty indeed using this. 

Can only recommend picking one of these up. I will be using this next week in the studio when I go to do some DI recordings. I'm going to leave my own amp at home; there will be no need for it now.  

Edited by funkle
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, funkle said:

I just picked one of these up secondhand.

I went from 'I'll try it out and see if I like it' to absolutely adoring it in about 2 seconds flat. 

I really really like this thing. It really helps me with something I have sometimes struggled with when playing through headphones, which is playing a bit too hard because I'm not getting the 'feeling' of the note. 

I tried it even when I was playing through my amp. I often play lower volume jazz gigs....I loved it when playing low volume too. It adds to the experience. 

Works a peach with my 5 string as well as the 4. The low B is mighty indeed using this. 

Can only recommend picking one of these up. I will be using this next week in the studio when I go to do some DI recordings. I'm going to leave my own amp at home; there will be no need for it now.  

Amazing isn't it!! Now get some Boss Waza Air headphones to go with it = perfect setup!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, obbm said:

Has anyone solved how to stop the jacks from pulling out.  I've tried cable ties and Velcro but I still seem to pull them out with and accompanying lack of sound. 😒 

If only Neutrik locking sockets weren’t so bulky this would be a nice application for them :|

Edited by CameronJ

32 minutes ago, obbm said:

Has anyone solved how to stop the jacks from pulling out.  I've tried cable ties and Velcro but I still seem to pull them out with and accompanying lack of sound. 😒 

Haven't had that problem. Mind you, that is because one jack is the wireless sender, and the other one is the lead to the bass.

You could always put the thing round the other way so any tension on the cable pushed it in more?

Well, a night on the backbeat with the Waza and I’m hooked, maybe gone are the days of turning on the rig unless it’s in anger. 
Great piece of kit and doubled with the Waza air bass I don’t think you can beat that combo for home practice.

might even get me thinking about IEM’s and I like a good heavy stack on the stage 😯

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 16:00, Woodinblack said:

Haven't had that problem. Mind you, that is because one jack is the wireless sender, and the other one is the lead to the bass.

You could always put the thing round the other way so any tension on the cable pushed it in more?

Well you've spurred me into action.  The Sony Wireless has come back out of its box and is now back in use.  That will solve the problem for the time being.  I have some ideas about how to retain the jacks however it requires some experimentation. The down side is that I now have to build a pedal board to take the receiver, BDDI and a PSU and I suppose while I'm about it a few other little gizmos.😀

I have routed both the cable from the bass and a female extension to my wireless sender or jack to amp along a piece of tubing which is held loosely by a removable zip tie (this is a Aldi dog zip tie but I also used a velcro one!). Since it has a little bit of give it never pulls the jacks out, and movement is mimited by the width of the locking female extension which can't go past the zip tie.

The only time I've had the jack(s) come out of the pack is when I tied it tight to the tail of the strap.

IMG_9257.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks like the instrument input will be on the side rather than end-on, so coming out of the backbeat G2 at a 90 degree angle compared to the layout of G2. Not sure if this is a good move or not as I’ve never used the original Backbeat. Anyone care to chime in on whether they reckon it makes sense or not?

33 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Looks like the instrument input will be on the side rather than end-on, so coming out of the backbeat G2 at a 90 degree angle compared to the layout of G2. Not sure if this is a good move or not as I’ve never used the original Backbeat. Anyone care to chime in on whether they reckon it makes sense or not?

I looks like they are going with a custom cable. Big thumbs down from me.

56 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I would say 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The end position is convenient for going along the strap, but a lot of people have trouble with it pulling out, so would presumably prefer it there.

8 hours ago, CameronJ said:

It makes sense to me if it prevents the jack plug from pulling out. Presumably a right-angled jack plug will allow the cable to route in the usual way?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ped said:

Presume the side jack slows the pack to be smaller too, in length. Still confused as to why there only appears to be one though 🤔

A stereo jack for input/output with a splitter perhaps?

What are the other two smaller sockets for? I see these are in the existing model too. 

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

A stereo jack for input/output with a splitter perhaps?

What are the other two smaller sockets for? I see these are in the existing model too. 

Aye maybe. The smaller ones are aux in and headphones out. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just had an update RE the Backbeat G2

It will use a user replaceable 18650 battery giving more power and charging will be via USB3!

Still sounds great - I’ve put myself down for the pre order in Feb. Waiting on info re cabling maybe next. 

178488CD-1D88-476F-B5EF-A878D6EEDC83.jpeg

• Like 3