Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

All these pro players are getting shown it backstage at gigs or at music shows. They could afford it as a toy but to us mere mortals £300 is a lot a dosh to splash out on. My amp gives me the air movement I need. Im never going to be playing on such a big stage that a sound engineer would tell me to lose my speakers anyway.

7 minutes ago, ubit said:

All these pro players are getting shown it backstage at gigs or at music shows. They could afford it as a toy but to us mere mortals £300 is a lot a dosh to splash out on. My amp gives me the air movement I need. Im never going to be playing on such a big stage that a sound engineer would tell me to lose my speakers anyway.

A lot of pros are playing with IEMs, (myself included) and the Backbeat is an integral part of my setup now! I play all kinds of stages with no amp - it’s usually better for the sound engineer not to have to combat the sound coming off the stage, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Higgie said:

A lot of pros are playing with IEMs, (myself included) and the Backbeat is an integral part of my setup now! I play all kinds of stages with no amp - it’s usually better for the sound engineer not to have to combat the sound coming off the stage, too.

Well good for you but the vast majority of us don't play on huge stages where amps are not wanted.

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am going to get one as it sounds like the sort of thing that would work for me. I don't play big stages, or tend to sit at my computer naked, so not sure I am the target market!

Good stuff. Although people tend to assume they’re for IEM users on big stages, they’re a great addition to any playing situation.

The battery lasts ages but when it dies the pack starts to cut out now and again (rather than slowly lose power). When you’re totally in the zone, for a second you’re thinking ‘hey what happened’ before you realise the feedback has stopped and it’s like you’ve put the bass down. 

I’m also playing at a much lower volume through my headphones when using it because I’m feeling the music as well as hearing it. 

• Like 1

I've just merged two threads about the Backbeat with the same title

Good stuff @Woodinblack I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I've had a chat with the designer and it sounds like Backbeat 2 is in the works, so watch this space. I don't think it'll be around for a while yet though.

Has anyone got a silver one? Only ever seen them in pics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I've had a chat with the designer and it sounds like Backbeat 2 is in the works, so watch this space. I don't think it'll be around for a while yet though.

I did think maybe it was better waiting for a second version, but if it does what I want now then it wasn't an issue. I saw a long term review and a gig review on youtube and saw what people were saying were the good sides and the bad sides, and to be honest, the downsides weren't something I would have been concerned about.

I saw the silver, it was a bit "obvious big metal box" for me, I can't imagine it would be that popular unless you had a white bass with a white strap. Or maybe it is like that (Unpainted) so you can paint it to match whatever colour you want, so I could have a turquoise one!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I did think maybe it was better waiting for a second version, but if it does what I want now then it wasn't an issue. I saw a long term review and a gig review on youtube and saw what people were saying were the good sides and the bad sides, and to be honest, the downsides weren't something I would have been concerned about.

I saw the silver, it was a bit "obvious big metal box" for me, I can't imagine it would be that popular unless you had a white bass with a white strap. Or maybe it is like that (Unpainted) so you can paint it to match whatever colour you want, so I could have a turquoise one!

Maybe BC orange?

The only downsides I have discovered:

• Comes with US plug so you need an adapter
  • Hard to reach jacks so you need to make a wiring loom if you want them in a convenient place
  • Jacks are non locking, so trial and error is required to make sure said wiring loom has enough slack not to pull the jacks out
  • Headphone output has no limiter
  • Knobs can move fairly easily if you're getting the thing in and out of a gig bag for example
  • Clips on the device can dig into your back if the pack isn't placed well, therefore double layered straps work well (see above)
  • Some double layer straps cushion the vibration too much
  • The pack produces quite a rumble which you can hear if you have your headphone level REALLY low and the pack quite high on your back
  • On a super high output bass (G&L SB1) you can get feedback if you have volume up and let strings ring
  • Pack is relatively heavy and when you're not used to it you can forget and let it swing around and knock out your friends

All of these are easily avoided with some playing around and DIY, which I happen to rather enjoy - once you've got it working for you, it couldn't be simpler.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Maybe BC orange?

Orange is a banned colour in my house, my wife has a pasionate hatred of orange!

9 minutes ago, ped said:

The only downsides I have discovered:

• Comes with US plug so you need an adapter
  • Hard to reach jacks so you need to make a wiring loom if you want them in a convenient place
  • Jacks are non locking, so trial and error is required to make sure said wiring loom has enough slack not to pull the jacks out
  • Headphone output has no limiter
  • Knobs can move fairly easily if you're getting the thing in and out of a gig bag for example
  • Clips on the device can dig into your back if the pack isn't placed well, therefore double layered straps work well (see above)
  • Some double layer straps cushion the vibration too much
  • The pack produces quite a rumble which you can hear if you have your headphone level REALLY low and the pack quite high on your back
  • On a super high output bass (G&L SB1) you can get feedback if you have volume up and let strings ring
  • Pack is relatively heavy and when you're not used to it you can forget and let it swing around and knock out your friends

All of these are easily avoided with some playing around and DIY, which I happen to rather enjoy - once you've got it working for you, it couldn't be simpler.

The only thing of those that really concern me are the connection to a strap. I don't have the same strap on every bass (I don't even have the same strap type on every bass, I have a combination of dunlop and shaller straps), and all the reviews say it is not something you can put on and off. But it is screwed in, so maybe I can make an attachment to different straps.

I would however hate it to knock our my friends, I have a headstock for that purpose!

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Orange is a banned colour in my house, my wife has a pasionate hatred of orange!

The only thing of those that really concern me are the connection to a strap. I don't have the same strap on every bass (I don't even have the same strap type on every bass, I have a combination of dunlop and shaller straps), and all the reviews say it is not something you can put on and off. But it is screwed in, so maybe I can make an attachment to different straps.

I would however hate it to knock our my friends, I have a headstock for that purpose!

Ah ok. It looks like you can screw it on if you like but I find the clips are strong enough to not bother. Yes moving it from strap to strap might be a challenge, but a fun project to solve

26 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Sounds like I need to buy one for each bass, just to save faffing around.

Me too. Not all of them, only 5 or so have their own strap, so that should cover it. Oh, then how do you fit it to the chapman stick?!

Edited by Woodinblack

1 hour ago, ped said:

I've just merged two threads about the Backbeat with the same title

Good stuff @Woodinblack I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I have a Silver one and a black one. The silver one is the newer revised model that vibrates at higher frequencies than my black v1. The silver one gets all the use!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Higgie said:

I have a Silver one and a black one. The silver one is the newer revised model that vibrates at higher frequencies than my black v1. The silver one gets all the use!

How do you tell if one you have is the revised model - are there any outward signs?

20 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Pics?

@Woodinblack I think the V1 was the origional Kickstarter unit. I don't think there are any in shops - and you can upgrade them to the new version I think. I believe a way to tell is that it doesn't rumble anything you put into the AUX, whereas V2 does?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ped said:

Pics?

@Woodinblack I think the V1 was the origional Kickstarter unit. I don't think there are any in shops - and you can upgrade them to the new version I think. I believe a way to tell is that it doesn't rumble anything you put into the AUX, whereas V2 does?

I’ll take one on todays gig! 

You are correct, you can’t tell visually. But the notes will rumble higher up the G string than the first version, and the Aux In will trigger the rumble too.