Why become a member? ×

Backbeat

Twigman

• 4 months later...

I have had mine for a few weeks now. Am yet to try it on stage but as a practice tool (where playing at any sort of real volume is not an option due to a sleeping 4 year old and really thin walls), it is an excellent tool. Using it with IEM's I quickly loose myself in my playing and forget I'm not playing in front of an amp. 

My only criticism of it as a product is that the headphone output and audio input are really close together so i struggled to plug in both at the same time - not a show stopper but could easily be designed out. I haven't had any issue with the vibrations being in the wrong place - it all depends on where you put it on your strap and how much you turn up the vibes (I lke the fact that it is adjustable). 

I'll feedback again once I have used on stage.

• Like 1

Guest oZZma
On 24/04/2018 at 18:14, Twigman said:

Sorry if it's been posted already

What is the consensus on this?

LOL seriously?

Been gigging with mine exclusively for the last 4 months and still stand by previous post! My gigging rig is now my Cosmic Ears IEMs, REDDI and a Backbeat. Small pedaltrain with a backup DI, tuner, and Cali76 and that’s it! One trip to/from the car, and it’s the best (non!)rig I’ve ever had!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Tried one of these last week I'm seriously impressed. I could definitely see me going the route @Higgie has taken for the bigger gigs I do. 

I would probably stick with the amp/cab for smaller gigs, which I generally don't use my IEM's for anyway.

As bizarre as it looks, don't knock it until you've tried it. Seriously 😀

• 4 months later...
On 22/12/2018 at 11:03, chris_b said:

I know a drummer who uses mostly IEM's and swears by the Porter Davies drum stool, but, as a bass player, I think I'd put that money into better IEM's.

I also play drums in a band and tried one of those drum stools. Pointless invention to overcome a problem that does not exist. I can feel the sticks and pedals through my limbs as I play the kit, I don't need a vibrating seat to tell me when I have made contact. I also sometimes use iems and still dont need any help to play in time and also enjoy the experience.

On 04/02/2020 at 12:43, mikel said:

I also play drums in a band and tried one of those drum stools. Pointless invention to overcome a problem that does not exist. I can feel the sticks and pedals through my limbs as I play the kit, I don't need a vibrating seat to tell me when I have made contact. I also sometimes use iems and still dont need any help to play in time and also enjoy the experience.

It works for a lot of drummers I've looked after on tour. It's also meant ditching a sub from the drum monitoring setup in many cases, so cleans up the stage sound. Happier artists, happier monitor engineer, and happier FOH guy not dealing with an extra source of noise off the stage. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi folks

I just got a Backbeat (personal subwoofer/headphone amp) https://getbackbeat.com

I should say that I converted to ‘feel’ the bass by having a TecAmp Bass Board (vibrating platform) at home and find it hard to describe how great it feels to have the feel of a huge bass rig shaking you to the core whilst you play. 

As such I’m surprised that it’s taken me so long to get around to trying the backbeat but I finally got one last week and have been putting it through it’s paces playing at home through my studio setup. 

First of all it’s smaller than I thought. It clips to all my straps but works best on the Comfort Strapp type as the clips are tucked between the material and the foam padding. Getting the position just right takes some practice and adjustment but I’ve got it placed so it vibrates right down my spine!

Its very powerful. Half power is more than enough and gives a brilliant tactile feedback. 

Unlike super early Kickstarter versions the current versions have a stereo aux which also vibrates the back so you can feed a signal into there to feel the bass drum etc. 

Downsides - it takes practice to remove the strap without knocking yourself out - I find it easier to i clip the strap at the bottom of the bass then the top and let the strap stay in your shoulder. 

It would be nice to see an updated one with Bluetooth connectivity

Using as a headphone amp is fine but you don’t get any frills, just raw signal. I’m used to quite a delicious headphone setup but with the tactile feedback you actually can use less ‘volume’ anyway. However turn the volume down too much and you can hear the pack vibrating. Obviously only in solo playing situations. 

I’m really pleased with it. I think that playing without it (in places where I can’t take my Bass Board especially) will feel really strange once I’m used to it. I’m looking forward to using it at my friends studio especially where I tend to play straight to desk with no amp feel. 

If we ever have a Basschat bundle again in person I’ll bring it for people to try - I’m surprised they aren’t more popular but I appreciate they are a bit of a gamble if you haven’t bought vibrating aids before ;)

I did briefly try it with the bass board at the same time and even I thought that was ridiculous and had to stop in case I fractured my skeleton. 

Cheers

ped

• 1 month later...

I too am a convert to feeling the bass. However my set up is extremely Heath Robinson. 

I'm saving up for a pedal, but as the kitty starts to move in the area of the Backbeat's price tag, I have to say I'm sorely tempted. 

Not just for home use but if I ever gig again it would be lovely to have a response from the bass without getting moaned at by everyone for being too loud. 

Those who have one, is it value for money? It is a fair bit more than I first expected it to be TBH.

But thinking about what's involved to make it, and that it's fully portable I'm coming around to the idea. Playing to a drum track and feeling that kick drum is a heck of a thing. It's impossible to describe. 

I'm still stoked with mine... I found myself using it even on decent amp volume gigs. One little extra bonus on some high pressure gigs is that when you mute your amp/DI signal, you can 'hear' yourself through your own body, great for just covertly checking a part without anyone knowing...

• Like 2

Easily one of the best things I've bought. 99% of all my gigs (pre-Covid of course!) are amp-less so this really helps me FEEL what I'm playing with IEMs. I know of a few people that didn't get on with it, but for me it's excellent! One thing to be careful of is some frequencies will cause the whole strap to resonate if you have it turned up too much, which will do the same thing to your bass and give you an infinite sustain effect. This is what made me realise I was running it too high, as I just love how it feels! I generally have it about 1/4 to 1/3 up now, and that's enough unless I'm wearing something super thick like a jacket or shirt & waistcoat. 

• Like 1