Why become a member? ×

Probably Stupid Ibanez Question

Frank Blank

Time to show my ignorance.

i recently purchased an Ibanez SRC6 from the excellent @adamg67 and without putting too finer point on it, I love it. Does anyone know of an Ibanez model similar to the SRC6 but with four strings? I have looked on the Ibanez website but everything in the SR range appears to be long scale. What I love about the SRC6 is the short scale, the narrow string spacing and I love the walnut finish. A 4 string version of the SRC6 might just be my perfect instrument, there must be something close.

someone stop me before I buy another SRC6 and just put four strings on it...

• Like 1

I was just about to suggest you take 2 strings off before getting to the end of your post....!

Have a look on the non-UK websites of Ibanez - there might be one for another market. e.g. the excellent Portamento comes in a 6 but initially is only for the US. (Bah, humbug!)

59 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I was just about to suggest you take 2 strings off before getting to the end of your post....!

Have a look on the non-UK websites of Ibanez - there might be one for another market. e.g. the excellent Portamento comes in a 6 but initially is only for the US. (Bah, humbug!)

See I like and will keep the 6 but I might, if no other option is available, actually buy another SRC6 and just have it strung with 4... 

• Like 1

Status with a BendWell will be a 32" scale and lots of them have 16.5 mm strings spacing at the bridge.

The Fender Stu Hamm was 32" scale too, but with standard strings spacing.

My Alpher was 33" scale with 16.5 mm strings spacing.

ACG or any other real luthier can make you wathever you might want.

I recognise that those medium scale basses are a delight to play. :crigon_04:

18 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Status with a BendWell will be a 32" scale and lots of them have 16.5 mm strings spacing at the bridge.

The Fender Stu Hamm was 32" scale too, but with standard strings spacing.

My Alpher was 33" scale with 16.5 mm strings spacing.

ACG or any other real luthier can make you wathever you might want.

I recognise that those medium scale basses are a delight to play. :crigon_04:

I think the question was specific to a short scale Ibby, otherwise there are indeed many alternatives.

Then check out the Mikro at 28". It is a 3/4 sized instrument, very cheap. The body/neck is fine on it, but you would need to upgrade tuners, pickups and electronics ideally. You could do that and still stay well under 350 quid. A mate of mine has one as travel bass and upgraded it sounds great and plays great too.

I've got an Ibby SR1206 and I've actually restrung it E, A, D, G, B, E (so that it's effectively a 'normal' six string guitar but an octave down*). 

The point being that the bottom 4 strings are then your usual 4 string bass strings (and you have a couple of extra strings at the top which you can use if you need, or not use ever).

Would that work for you on your SRC6?

(* I then combine it with a Digitech Mosaic to get a normal '12 string' guitar sound but an octave down with all the lush tonality that delivers.)

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've got an Ibby SR1206 and I've actually restrung it E, A, D, G, B, E (so that it's effectively a 'normal' six string guitar but an octave down*). 

The point being that the bottom 4 strings are then your usual 4 string bass strings (and you have a couple of extra strings at the top which you can use if you need, or not use ever).

Would that work for you on your SRC6?

(* I then combine it with a Digitech Mosaic to get a normal '12 string' guitar sound but an octave down with all the lush tonality that delivers.)

The SRC6 is strung E, A, D, G, B, E but, in my bewilderment, the higher strings befuddle me, almost certainly because I am used to the wider string spacing on my other basses. I am probably jumping the gun because I’ll almost certainly get used to 6 and I have a Chowny Pro winging its way to me that will most likely satisfy all my needs, I probably am actually being idiotic.

49 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Then check out the Mikro at 28". It is a 3/4 sized instrument, very cheap. The body/neck is fine on it, but you would need to upgrade tuners, pickups and electronics ideally. You could do that and still stay well under 350 quid. A mate of mine has one as travel bass and upgraded it sounds great and plays great too.

I am awaiting a Mikro to try out at my local shop so I’ll report back.

51 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

The SRC6 is strung E, A, D, G, B, E but, in my bewilderment, the higher strings befuddle me, almost certainly because I am used to the wider string spacing on my other basses. I am probably jumping the gun because I’ll almost certainly get used to 6 and I have a Chowny Pro winging its way to me that will most likely satisfy all my needs, I probably am actually being idiotic.

I'd say stick with it. You will get used to it in no time at all :)

• Thanks 1

Isn't the SCR6 Ibanez's take on a Fender bass vi style guitar?

I think you'll struggle to find a commercially produced 4 string with string spacing that narrow, taking 2 strings off might be your only option without commissioning a custom build.

Edited by Cato

They don't make anything like that because it isn't a bass, its a 'crossover' so it is an octave down guitar, so it has the guitar spacing and a baritone scale.

There are plenty of 30" basses but probably nothing tighter than 15mm spacing, apart from the GV36 which is 14 but much wider the other end (and a 34" 6'er anyway).

I don't see what you would gain over having the SRC6 anyway?

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Isn't the SCR6 Ibanez's take on a Fender bass vi style guitar?

In a way but the differences are quite large. The Bass VI is very much an old style crossover from a jaguar / mustang / jazz sort of guitar but tuned down as a bass, very vintage and rather 'surf'.

The SRC6 is actually closer in style to an Ibanez RG guitar, combined with the SR body shape (and wood colour). It is a much more 'modern' sort of guitar right from the bridge, which unlike the Bass VI lets you intonate the guitar and is fully adjustable, EMG pickups etc.

If anything, it is more aimed at metal I would say

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Sir, fickle idiot that I am I’ll probably get fed up with mi e by the end of the week.

Well keep me in mind!

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, mine sat for sale for a while!

Noticed that!