Why become a member? ×

The 80's thread.

bubinga5

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

In my experience the recorded music scene in the 80's was full of fantastic bands playing great songs.

The local gig scene (London and the SE) was vibrant and there were more gigs than a band could fit in the diary. The audiences were lively, interested and enthusiastic. Most of the gigs we played were full.

IME the 80's was a great time for music.

It sure was and pop stars looked  like pop stars oughta, OTT and bizarre looking, not  looking like they should be  folding skinny jeans at GAP like they have been since BoyZone /Westlife

57 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

It sure was and pop stars looked  like pop stars oughta, OTT and bizarre looking, not  looking like they should be  folding skinny jeans at GAP like they have been since BoyZone /Westlife

Yep. I preferred when there was a "them and us" feel between the band and the audience. It didn't take long for the audiences to start looking weirder than we did!

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

These have been a big fave of mine since I hear them on Peel. Anyone else for them? Always cracking drumming and plenty of nice bass work

Yes I liked their song ‘Well Well Well’. Some of the most frenetic drumming I’ve ever heard, the 12” mix was epic! 

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:03, kodiakblair said:

Bloody hell @Skybone Did you pinch my record collection ?

I'll be watching to see If "Country Girl becomes Drug and Sex Punk" by Serious Drinking follows xD

Probably frequented some very similarly dodgy venues though... ;) :D 

To be fair, though the 80's was known for it's flamboyance and excess, there was a strong undercurrent in music, away from the mainstream. There certainly appeared to be a lot of experimentation with styles, and certainly, the clarion call was lead by John Peel's radio show. 

• Like 1