Why become a member? ×

The 80's thread.

bubinga5

8 minutes ago, Bolo said:

If it wasn't for Thrash Metal and it's offspring the whole 80s should be killed with fire. What a load of audible diarrhea, absolutely atrocious.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is :)

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

So you've heard it all, have you? xD

What one have I missed that completely redeems the rest then?

Above I see Motorhead, Napalm Death, Voivod, and a mention of psychobilly. I have no reservations about including those in my previous exclamation 😬

11 hours ago, Bolo said:

If it wasn't for Thrash Metal and it's offspring the whole 80s should be killed with fire. What a load of audible diarrhea, absolutely atrocious.

You are right, Trash Metal like Heavy Metal was awful in the 80's : certainly the worst recordings ever, absolutely crap sounding, totally lacking inspiration and, even worst, dressed like sissies. And I was more on the metal side in the early eighties than on the jazz scene. :P

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bolo said:

Maybe you had a crap "live " music scene where you lived in the 80's. I certainly didn't :)

On 24/04/2018 at 09:21, JellyKnees said:

What we need is a bit of Matt Johnson...

Fantastic album, ‘Soul Mining’ too. Anyone remember the video album he made to accompany ‘Infected’? Channel 4 used to show it regularly in the late eighties. I had it on a long lost VHS but I’d love to find it on DVD.

The 80s, fond memories of first loves/kisses, first musical inspirations etc. Great to see some of the clips in the thread. We must not forget this was also the time of SA&W...... not so great.

Some of my personal favourites from the era:

POP 

ROCK/METAL

In my experience the recorded music scene in the 80's was full of fantastic bands playing great songs.

The local gig scene (London and the SE) was vibrant and there were more gigs than a band could fit in the diary. The audiences were lively, interested and enthusiastic. Most of the gigs we played were full.

IME the 80's was a great time for music.

• Like 5