Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz classic 60s MIM making ticking noise

BenR24

Hi,

so i bought a fender jazz 60s classic Mexican made a few months ago, playing more recently I’ve heard it makes a ticking noise whenever it’s plugged in, sometimes just without playing and other times when I play it comes through. This happens playing straight into the amp and at any volume. I wouldn’t think it’s technique issue as I’m not playing down towards the pups and also does it when I’m not even playing. I’m quite stuck into what it could be, I’ve tried all the basic troubleshooting like changing cables, no phone in pocket etc etc...

any help will be really appreciated or any other questions needed please ask! 

Thanks, 

Ben

Deathwatch Beetle? - " Deathwatch beetle alert. Q We have deathwatch beetle, and I am in a quandary about what to do. Although I can't see obvious bore holes, I heard their telltale clicking during April and May." (From The Telegraph)

Seriously though, could be anything from the pick up's windings through to wiring, pots, cap. or jack socket.

As it's a Jazz bass, this may not apply: http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/beetle/beetle.html :D

Edited by KiOgon

My old Lakland JO used to pick up both my ticking watch and my phone. I'm an oddity as I'm right handed but also wear my watch on my right wrist, if I had worn it on my left wrist the phone was the only issue...

Are you playing anywhere near fluorescent tubes? The starter cap in those could do it too.

Edited by Bigwan

Are you always using the same amp?  You say you've tried it in different places, but don't mention if the same amp was with it?

Perhaps try it plugged into a different amp, or borrow a mate's bass and try that in your amp, see which part of the chain is causing the issue?

On 4/23/2018 at 16:42, AndyTravis said:

You don’t wear a wrist watch do you? Pickups can sometimes pick up the movement/ticking of watches. When held directly above...but if it’s every 30 seconds...get your watch fixed 😉

The OP said every half second not every half minute xD

But yes - I'll guess it's a watch or clock somewhere in the vicinity.

I've posted this before but I had a similar thing on a strat type guitar (fwiw an Ibanez).

Took me a while before I noticed tick was sync'd with the second hand of my watch !

In different circumstances have aso heard similar caused by a DVD player on standy in a different room on a different floor of a largeish house.

It's easy too forget about rooms above and below but floors are generally not good shields :-)

Worth noting esp if you have old style dimmer controlled lighting in the room below.

I've had a Fender Classic 60s Jazz MiM for the last five years and it has never ticked. Neither has it tocked.

I recently bought a small Peavey combo for home use, and that definitely ticks when in tuner mode.

Great basses, though, defiantly worth eliminating the ticks.