Why become a member? ×

Audience lack of respect for bands

KevB

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

...  Appalling. Why they weren't all slung out I have no idea..

IME the reason can be that they're tossers from the record company. They don't pay to be there and it's all about networking to get on in the business... or so I believe.

If I'm right, then I guess in their circles it's cool to not give a jot about seeing Clapton, for example. It's better to say, "Clapton, oh yeah, 15 times now. His 60th birthday party; you should have been there..."

Edited by Grangur

I'm of the opinion that i pay a lot of money for concert tickets and i want to watch the full show including any support act. Its disrespectful to sit and gab thru any band performance. Been to some local gigs where a crowd of women behind me sat and gossiped all night. They had obviously been drinking but you could hardly hear the band during their quiet songs. If i had been in authority at the venue i would have put them out. Few people did actually complain to staff who did nothing. 

Dave

• Like 1

I can't get my head round the people who shell out for a ticket and then film the whole thing on their phone, presumably so they can load it up on Youtube. Sometimes it seems that demonstrating/bragging to the world that you were at an event is more important than experiencing it. Saw Floyd at Wembley a few years back and the stadium was lit up by mobile phones which to be honest, ruined the event for us.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Years ago I managed to get tickets to see Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall, in a lower tier box.

Eric came on to do some acoustic stuff as an opener, but the corporate do in the next box along almost

drowned him out. I asked them to keep it down, and am sure most of them didn't even know who EC was

and realise he was performing then. 

In some ways live rock music is so much a thing of the past people don't know how to act at concerts anymore.

I saw The Stones in 2016, it was like corporate family night. It was not cool.Most of the crowd was there only to be seen at the huge event and knew nothing about The Stones or their music.They only knew they were very famous.

Blue

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

In some ways live rock music is so much a thing of the past people don't know how to act at concerts anymore.

I saw The Stones in 2016, it was like corporate family night. It was not cool.Most of the crowd was there only to be seen at the huge event and knew nothing about The Stones or their music.They only knew they were very famous.

Blue

Tick in the box mentality.

Also means that proper fans don't get a chance to see their fav bands.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

The prices don’t help with this though, price put most ordinary people and what are you left with? I love the stones but would I pay £100 for a ticket?  No way, I can see five up and coming bands for the same money and probably 5-10 interesting support acts as well.

• Like 2

Went to a gig a couple of weeks ago at Under the Bridge (under Chelsea Football Club). Fabulous venue, no expense spared on sound and lighting. There were a group of people at the back, talking loudly all night. I went up to the promoter who asked security to have a word with them. Security asked me to point them out. When I did he said sorry, not a lot I can do, they are the club management!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

True,

Price is a factor. I paid over $300.00 for a Stones ticket . Nobody is a bigger Stones than me, but never again.

As a Senior I can buy a Summerfest ticket for $7.00 and literally see a multitude of headliners.

Blue

6 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

True,

Price is a factor. I paid over $300.00 for a Stones ticket . Nobody is a bigger Stones than me, but never again.

As a Senior I can buy a Summerfest ticket for $7.00 and literally see a multitude of headliners.

Blue

I'd never pay that for any band. Not even my fav bands. Not a Stones fan, never have been. Liked a few of their earlier songs but that's about it.

I have a max limit maybe equivalent to $100 but it would need to be a good seat and a band i don't get a chance to see very often. Maybe Rush but few bands left i would pay that for. Genesis reforming i might or if Gilmour and Waters put a version of Floyd on tour i might but average i would reckon circa $50-$70 dollars for a decent band

Better still go see a good tribute band or a good covers band.

Dave

5 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I don't go to gigs where more than 300 people can fit in the venue. Problem solved! 

Not if our last gig is anything to go by. We positioned a camera to film it and this punter spent the entire time we played six foot from us on his phone. We were not stupidly loud but he was only six inches from the PA. and there were way less than 300 there.

42 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'd never pay that for any band. Not even my fav bands. Not a Stones fan, never have been. Liked a few of their earlier songs but that's about it.

I have a max limit maybe equivalent to $100 but it would need to be a good seat and a band i don't get a chance to see very often. Maybe Rush but few bands left i would pay that for. Genesis reforming i might or if Gilmour and Waters put a version of Floyd on tour i might but average i would reckon circa $50-$70 dollars for a decent band

Better still go see a good tribute band or a good covers band.

Dave

Most of the headliner shows I go to are in the $15.00- $20.00 range.

Blue

• Like 1

Attending gigs as a member of the audience with today's typically  expensive ticket prices; I never cease to be amazed at the many people who spend most of the performance either talking among themselves or making repeated trips to the bar; clearly intent on getting themselves bladdered on overpriced beer in plastic "glasses" and missing much of the performance as a result.

It's absolutely beyond my understanding, as I generally wouldn't want to miss a moment of the gig; but each to their own I guess.

8 hours ago, discreet said:

Hell is other people.

the older I get the more I think that is true, one of the reasons I don't go to many gigs anymore is the idiots I have to put up with when in a big crowd, and why anybody would want to go to Glastonbury is totally beyond me

edit, don't mind a big crowd when I'm playing a gig though :)

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2018 at 15:25, Happy Jack said:

All fair enough, but ultimately it's our job to entertain them.

If I'm being ignored by the punters then it might be because they're all self-obsessed, selfish Mr and Mrs Silly Billy who should have been drowned at birth.

Or it might be because I'm not doing enough to entertain them.

Just saying ...

Nigel Tufnel once said; "The last band was so bad that the audience was still booing them when we were on!" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Another solution that nobody seems to have mentioned is to embrace the situation. Cocktail gigs, to be precise.

I spent a period where I would turn up to a wedding lunch, conference dinner or some such with a guitar and an amp, set up in a quiet corner where I wouldn't get disturbed or jostled, and spend an hour or two playing pretty much whatever I fancied for as long as I fancied playing it; as long as I played something that punters would recognise once in a while that was enough. Nobody's really listening to what you're doing as they have much more important things to do and talk about; but as long as they know it's there everybody's happy.

Not exciting for either player or audience, but if you're any good at it you can make fairly decent money (at one point I was asking - and getting -  £150+ an hour), and you don't have to share the gig fee with anyone. You do have to approach it in a professional manner though, both as regards material and technique - just rocking up and bashing out any old shite won't get you many return gigs. Oh, and most places will have a dress code of some sort as well.

I now await the flak from the 'if I had to do that I'd have given up years ago' brigade. Before you do chirp though, remember this: there are many ways to earn a living in the music business; screaming to be heard over a room full of noisily inebriated and disinterested ne'er-do-wells is only one of them.

If bass is the only instrument you play (covered in a forum topic recently) it may be more of an issue of course...

• Like 2