Why become a member? ×

Spawny gets..lucky fifth wheels in music

In my opinion in all aspects of life you see quite a lot of people that make a career out of hitching a ride on someone else's success (moves/tv, politics e.g.) and more so than any of the people mentioned in the thread, their band members did not mind them being on board. And they at least made an effort of sorts and some were an inspiration to their band mates (Linda Yoko etc).

I certainly rate them FAR higher than 95% of the waste of oxygen that polllute Social Media, who have ZERO skill and for some reason people follow them because they have most views or whatever. RIngo over Kim Kardashian any day of the century.

Edited by HazBeen

1 minute ago, HazBeen said:

I certainly rate them FAR higher than 95% of the waste of oxygen that polllute Social Media, who have ZERO skill and for some reason people follow them because they have most views or whatever. RIngo over Kim Kardashian any day of the century.

I'm not sure I want to see Ringo's sex tape...

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2018 at 13:03, BreadBin said:

Sister Bliss from Faithless - normally seen 'playing' keyboards with no audio connections and reacting to changes one bar after they actually happen.

A good friend and colleague is their touring keyboard and drum tech. I can very much confirm that she's playing live keys on stage, otherwise he wouldn't have much of a job to do! 

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Curtains, then, for Canned Heat, Poppa Chubby and Little Bob Story then, eh..? One could go on; the list is long... ;)

True, and I loved Canned Heat.  Bob Hite had a great Blues voice so he is the exception that proves the rule. :D Having said that, he was young and long haired back then so he was not an old fat man. And lets be honest, Bob, and indeed a few others, would have been even  more famous had they been slim and pretty. Mark Knopfler and Phil Collins to name but two. Popular music is a fickle world.

Edited by mikel
Additions.

4 hours ago, mike257 said:

A good friend and colleague is their touring keyboard and drum tech. I can very much confirm that she's playing live keys on stage, otherwise he wouldn't have much of a job to do! 

Ah well they must do it differently at Glastonbury then as I clearly heard a synth line start then she started playing it a bar later with no audible change?

16 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Ah well they must do it differently at Glastonbury then as I clearly heard a synth line start then she started playing it a bar later with no audible change?

Obviously there's stuff on track - there's more keys parts in a typical Faithless song than there are keys players on stage - but she's very much playing live, regardless of what you think you've seen and what you think is plugged in. 

Arena-scale touring shows often have more playback involved than most people would expect though, that's for sure.

10 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

But is he even in the top 100 maracca players in pop. He can't hold a candle to Davey Jones of the Monkees.

That may well be true, but he would easily run circles around Davey Jones in a game of 'let's see who can burn through this big bag of crack the quickest'. And he would wash it down with 17 plastic bottles of White Lightning, the drink of champions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, project_c said:

That may well be true, but he would easily run circles around Davey Jones in a game of 'let's see who can burn through this big bag of crack the quickest'. And he would wash it down with 17 plastic bottles of White Lightning, the drink of champions.

Aye, can't argue with you there. Ah, White Lightning yes indeed the tipple of dukes and duchesses too!

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Aye, can't argue with you there. Ah, White Lightning yes indeed the tipple of dukes and duchesses too!

Talking of conspicuous consumption and fifth wheels in the music industry; we've not heard of Babyshambles' front man for a bit.  The man known more for his consumption than for his musical talent.  I forget his name...

I sympathise.  It must be an awful thing to form a band and become its fifth wheel.

Let me be controversial, for a change.

The Smiths always delighted me with their instrumental moments in between Mr Mozzer's outpourings.  I would love to have heard them do an extended instrumental set like Mezzo Forte.

If* I said I thought that Morrissey was the fifth wheel in The Smiths would you hold it against me?

*We all know that the band would not have got a recording deal without the pompous poet.  It's just a bit of fun.

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Let me be controversial, for a change.

The Smiths always delighted me with their instrumental moments in between Mr Mozzer's outpourings.  I would love to have heard them do an extended instrumental set like Mezzo Forte.

If* I said I thought that Morrissey was the fifth wheel in The Smiths would you hold it against me?

*We all know that the band would not have got a recording deal without the pompous poet.  It's just a bit of fun.

Not at all. Him droning on and on, usually sticking to one note, was always enough to make me turn them off after about 30 seconds. The rest of the band were band though.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

I think his edgy, unconventional  and often 'thin' vocals sat very well with Johnny Marr's excellent guitar work, built on the foundation of a tight rhythm section

So in this case, no, but a valid point to raise all the same 

I agree.  A highly musical band was required to complement Morrisey's musical limitations.  This highlighted the lyrics all the more.

Johnny Marr's work with The The suggests that Marr was more adaptable than Mozzer.

Johnny Marr

Morrisey

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

On Wed Apr 25 2018 at 11:28, BrunoBass said:

I recall seeing footage of more than one band from the sixties where there’s a bloke standing there just playing a tambourine. I can’t imagine any band meeting where the urgency of getting a tambourine player in was on the agenda.

Maybe the it was the need to have at least one band member who was a member of the M.U.?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I agree.  A highly musical band was required to complement Morrisey's musical limitations.  This highlighted the lyrics all the more.

Johnny Marr's work with The The suggests that Marr was more adaptable than Mozzer.

Johnny Marr

Morrisey

Of course, it was Marr's departure that precipitated the breakup of the band - originally reported in error, which led fans of the band to wonder why he'd left. French fans, however, saw it coming all along, as they thought the clue was in his name.

/coat

On 4/25/2018 at 11:28, BrunoBass said:

I recall seeing footage of more than one band from the sixties where there’s a bloke standing there just playing a tambourine. I can’t imagine any band meeting where the urgency of getting a tambourine player in was on the agenda.

There's the big fellow with the crimped hair from Kansas but he does backing vocals as well

On 4/25/2018 at 13:13, borntohang said:

Mickey was in for his cheekbones, if I recall correctly. And most excellent cheekbones they were; man looked like a Mills and Boon cover walking down the street

and he also gave his name to a concoction of spirits that you'd pour into a small lemonade bottle from various bottles in your dad's collection so that he wouldn't notice that any was missing

On 23/04/2018 at 10:59, mikel said:

My 5th wheel vote.  Liam Gallagher with Oasis. He was lucky enough to be in his brothers band.

Mine too. I have an Oasis tab book which has a big mugshot of Liam on the cover, and I use it to rest on when I'm writing out basslines. There's a certain satisfaction in poking the smug git in the eye :biggrin: