Why become a member? ×

Spawny gets..lucky fifth wheels in music

On 23/04/2018 at 09:03, Barking Spiders said:

My teen daughters are getting all retro and finding a love for 80s pop along the lines of Duran, Spandau, Wham etc. So we had back to back DD and Wham on Yesterday at the weekend. Mark Radcliffe's comments reminded when we used to wonder what Andrew Ridgeley actually did apart from occasionally mime playing the guitar and bass !  Other 'famous' fifth wheels that come to mind are; Bez from Happy Mondays  who basically used to trot out the same off his face  'dance' with plastic maraccas; Paul from Frankie GTH who contributed occasional backing vocal and the bloke in Boney M who semi-spoke the odd line like ' he's crazy like a fool' (from Daddy Cool). Bring 'em on!!!

Don't knock Bez, he's still out there doing his thing, what a legend. He's had more drugs than anyone could possibly imagine, and yet he's still bouncing about. Looks pretty healthy these days too. Hope he keeps on shaking those plastic maracas forever.

49 minutes ago, project_c said:

Don't knock Bez, he's still out there doing his thing, what a legend. He's had more drugs than anyone could possibly imagine, and yet he's still bouncing about. Looks pretty healthy these days too. Hope he keeps on shaking those plastic maracas forever.

A shining example to our youth.  Bravo!

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

A shining example to our youth.  Bravo!

Our youth are far too clued up on these matters and therefore their music is very straightlaced and safe. Music is so much better when it's written by a drug fuelled, chaotic anarchist with a chip on his or her shoulder. :)

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 23/04/2018 at 14:51, dave_bass5 said:

Alex Such Ex- Bon Jovi.

I was amazed to see him on stage with BJ, while Hugh McDonald was also playing, at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.

The story I've heard was that Alex fitted the look of the band better and the record company would only sign them with him in the band but he couldn't play bass to save himself so they got Hugh in to record the bass lines. At the time Hugh looked a lot older than the rest of the band so didn't fit the look of the band. End of the day the story goes that either they were able to bin Alex through some sort of end of contract thingy or the rest of the band finally began looking about ages with Hugh. Something like that :hi:

On 23/04/2018 at 16:20, rushscored4 said:

I know Brian "Nasher" Nash the guitarist from FGTH and I don't think he'd agree with you there! They were all accomplished gigging musicians on the Liverpool circuit (even Billy "Holly" Johnson was the bass player in 'Big in Japan') although I think Trevor Horn played a lot of the instruments on their biggest hits.

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Our youth are far too clued up on these matters and therefore their music is very straightlaced and safe. Music is so much better when it's written by a drug fuelled, chaotic anarchist with a chip on his or her shoulder. :)

The sad thing is, it's true!

It's hard to show raw passion these days.

9 hours ago, vantagepointrocks said:

But when Alec John Such was in the band they released great albums, Slippery, New Jersey, Keep the Faith, when he left they put out a few average ones, These Days, Crush & Bounce, before releasing absolute tosh in The Circle, Lost Highway, Have a Nice Day etc ... Are you telling me this is just pure co-incidence? I always assumed it was the change in bass player that resulted in the drop in quality of their output ...

Possibly Alec John Such had the non musical but vital role of beating Jon Bonjovi senseless every time he tried to record one of his boring, whiney ballads?

Once he left the monster was given free reign.

Aerosmith could have seriously benefitted from his merciless editorial skills during the 90s. They might still be remembered as a decent hard rock band.

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 1

On Mon Apr 23 2018 at 21:36, spectoremg said:

Isn't it widely reported that George 'gave' Andrew a credit on Careless Whisper?

Possibly, but it's wrong. Andrew came up with the chords and gave them to George to 'see if he could do anything with them'. 

5 hours ago, Maude said:

Exactly. Musicians have been getting high and wiggling their maracas since the dawn of time. Check this out, all about getting high, way back from the 1930s:

5 hours ago, Delberthot said:

The story I've heard was that Alex fitted the look of the band better and the record company would only sign them with him in the band but he couldn't play bass to save himself so they got Hugh in to record the bass lines. At the time Hugh looked a lot older than the rest of the band so didn't fit the look of the band. End of the day the story goes that either they were able to bin Alex through some sort of end of contract thingy or the rest of the band finally began looking about ages with Hugh. Something like that :hi:

Similar sort of thing with their guitar players. When Mr Sambora was having a hard time keeping it going,

they got in Bobby Bandiera to help cover his parts. Bobby is a wonderful player, but his age / image may not

have fitted the band so they stuck him out of the way on stage. To be fair, JBJovi is a long standing friend

of Bobby’s and helped him out by getting him the gig, just seemed a little unfair to hide him away.

11 hours ago, Maude said:

It was tongue firmly in cheek. Although I feel great hardship has always given rise to the best music, just one of those unfortunate things. :)

I know.

Yet the nugget of truth therein can not be denied.  Contentment does not drive creativity, hardship does.

I have no sympathy though when that hardship is self-inflicted through substance abuse when otherwise, life is good.  We seem to have a lot more middle-class whingers who might do well to go tee-total at least for one whole year of their adult lives just to see what it's like.

Our country and lifestyle is the envy of the rest of the world and yet some highly privileged people behave like victims.

Are they not the fifth wheels for the rest of us?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, project_c said:

But is he even in the top 100 maracca players in pop. He can't hold a candle to Davey Jones of the Monkees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

But is he even in the top 100 maracca players in pop. He can't hold a candle to Davey Jones of the Monkees.

Re: Bez; Now I'm an unbeliever.

Does Davy suffer from damp maracas?  He must have problems what with keeping them in that locker of his and all.

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Similar sort of thing with their guitar players. When Mr Sambora was having a hard time keeping it going,

they got in Bobby Bandiera to help cover his parts. Bobby is a wonderful player, but his age / image may not

have fitted the band so they stuck him out of the way on stage. To be fair, JBJovi is a long standing friend

of Bobby’s and helped him out by getting him the gig, just seemed a little unfair to hide him away.

I think nail on head. Sad but true. Image in Rock and Roll means a great deal. For me, as bands from the 60s and 70s start to tour, or continue to tour, it always helps if none of the band members have gone to fat.  The Stones may be older than dirt but because they are small and still super slim they still look ok on stage. Even pub bands look better if its not a bunch of fat old blokes. I can forgive less than perfect music if the band members look like rock musicians rather than a bunch of ageing farmers who have dressed up like the Wurzels in waistcoats and hats.

• Like 1

I recall seeing footage of more than one band from the sixties where there’s a bloke standing there just playing a tambourine. I can’t imagine any band meeting where the urgency of getting a tambourine player in was on the agenda.

7 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I recall seeing footage of more than one band from the sixties where there’s a bloke standing there just playing a tambourine. I can’t imagine any band meeting where the urgency of getting a tambourine player in was on the agenda.

Good point.

I wonder if it was a producer / investor type justifying their name getting added to everything?