Why become a member? ×

Guild B302 / B301 - likey or no likey?

BrunoBass

I went to an open mic night recently where, at the back of the playing area was a Guild B302. It didn’t get played at all so I didn’t get to hear it, but it’s looks certainly caught my eye. I know little about the B302 and B301, but I’m interested to find out more. 

What do we think about them? I know Guild have a good reputation but what about the B302 / 01 specifically from those who know, are they good instruments? Feel, tone, value etc? The only person I recall seeing playing one is Nicky Wire from the Manics. Have any other profile players used them? Any information or opinion anyone has would be most welcome, thanks.

My first bass was a Guild B301, brought as an ex demo from Rockbottoms in Croydon in 1981 for £195 served me very well  for about 30 years. It was my only bass and I had no interest in anything else. Then I sold it for £750 and the flood gates opened!

it was a very good bass, I think it had a dimarzio pick up, simple tone and volume and I guess it was a bit like a single coil jazz bass. The neck was narrow like a jazz, but deeper, possibly a U shape and it is a set neck. All good quality hardware as you might expect.

i believe the bass player in Stiff Little Fingers played one.

• Like 2

My first decent bass was a Guild B301 in the late 70s. I had spent years playing cheap Fender copies, and really wanted a Precision, but for some reason when I had some money, I went to A1 in Manchester and bought a white 301. Sounded great, but suffered from serious neck dive problems. I didn't keep it long, can't actually remember where it went or what replaced it now, lost in the mists of time. I certainly don't suffer any pangs of nostalgia for it.

I'd advise you to try it on a strap before buying, I bought mine after playing it sitting down in the shop and didn't put it on a srap until rehearsal that night - I was appalled by its dreadful balance.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

My old B301 wasn’t so bad for neck dive; it had a slight inclination to head south, but not too bad at all. Like anything, l guess it depends on the weight of the body and if that is weighty enough it won’t dive.

Never played one but always liked the styling, seem to remember them being fairly common back in't day.

In the mid 80s my local music shop (Frenchy's, Duncan Rd, Gillingham, if you have a long memory & know the Medway Tahns) had a fretless B301 that seemed to be in & out of the window for years. Affordable fretlesses were pretty thin on the ground at the time, & apparently various Pino-wannabes would buy it, keep it for a month or so then trade it back in! Never had any fretless aspirations myself at the time - or the £150-odd to have a try - so I don't know whether that was reflective of the bass or the players...

I had a B402-A six years ago.  Kinda wish I hadn't got rid of it.  I found that it sounded great on its own but got a bit lost in a live environment.  Wish I knew then what I know now about EQing etc.  It was just so creamy smooth sounding. 

I would guess the passive B301/302 might be a bit easier to make heard over a band ruckus.

Can't fault the ergonomics or the build quality.  I'm sure the passive B301/302 are no different in that respect.  And they're certainly different looking to most other things out there.

• Like 2

I've been looking for one on and off for years, they seem to be fetching quite sensible money these days. IIRC I've seen them go for about £700ish on eBay. I did win one with issues for £280  a couple of years ago and then the seller ratted. Bah humbug.Good luck with the search! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

It is indeed. I just had a look at Hammersmith’s website for information, and... there is no website, just a Facebook page. It’s all a bit sketchy which is a shame as these really do look interesting.

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

It is indeed. I just had a look at Hammersmith’s website for information, and... there is no website, just a Facebook page. It’s all a bit sketchy which is a shame as these really do look interesting.

There's a thread about them on Talkbass that petered out around June last year. The general gist was that Hammersmith got more orders than they could handle and pretty much ran away and hid.

Bit of a shame really as this was the first electric bass to peak my interest in about 15 years.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 23/04/2018 at 12:17, BrunoBass said:

Thanks, I saw that thread. It’s about the bridge, I’m interested in the instrument as a whole 😊

I have a B302 for sale. In decent condition considering the age. Comes with it's original hard case. Just wondering if anyone is interested in buying these days? James

13 hours ago, Sebjam90 said:

I have a B302 for sale. In decent condition considering the age. Comes with it's original hard case. Just wondering if anyone is interested in buying these days? James

I can't see it listed in the classifieds?

I just bought an '80 B-301 and love it to bits.

There was one on ebay a week or so ago, a bit rough though. I posted about it in the eBay section but wasn't aware how highly regarded they were. 

This video of Troy was posted and it sounds great. It probably wouldn't sound like that in my hands though sadly. 

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I didn't know which bass was being referred to so I googled it. To save others the trouble...

The 301 (currently for sale on Reverb)

eaz1yl8uowjoqzvhsnh4.jpg

The 302 (also on sale at Reverb)

qapnecgrgxyeilb4xtyq.jpg

That's odd, I remembered the pickup spacing on the 302 wrong, I thought the bridge pickup was nearer the bridge. On my 301, I moved it right up near the bridge.

I used a B-301 in the 80's and got another a few years ago, I think they are cool looking , great quality and sounds decent too! Richard Jones from The Feeling uses a B-301 a lot too , prices vary quite a bit if you can find a decent one

Here's me looking rather dashing 'with hair and spandex' in the 80's (it was acceptable then apparently...)

1622989274_Ade.bmp(3).jpg.d7bfb7b4068e16f10061adc75d69a793.jpg

Edited by Adee
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...