Why become a member? ×

Gauge/tuning question

PTV

Hi, 

ive been jamming with a friend recently doing some slower stoner rock type stuff, some of it very Sabbath like. 

Been tuning down to dropped B. 

B, F#, B, E

is anyone here using this tuning a lot and what gauge strings do you use?

I don’t have a 5 string  

thanks,

Paul. 

Cheers Dood.
As usual I'll link http://www.stringtensionpro.com/

A great resource and I use it for most queries like this and then tailor it to the individuals needs.

Using something like 50, 70, 85, 105 in standard tuning as a reference set. To get somewhere close to that kind of tension in your tuning you would need to go for 145, 100, 85, 58.

Then you can tweak from there. I'd probably go 145, 100, 85, 60

Using a 115 at low B would be probably about 40 per cent drop in tension over using a 105 in standard E, so it is definitely understandable that you feel you need more tension.

Adam.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2018 at 21:32, joeystrange said:

I use that gauge for standard tuning. I don’t think they’d be playable (for me, at least) tuned down to B.

Update...

I went with 135,105,85,70. It feels perfect 👍

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

I’ve never tuned that far down on a four string - is B the lowest you can go before the string becomes too slack to vibrate properly? Would low A be possible? Just curious.

A would be possible with a 135 gauge string. 

• Like 1

D’Addario make a balanced tension set of 120 -50. I have used them for drop B before and they worked fine. I did think about ordering singles or a custom Newtone or Circle K order but, the D’Addarios are less than £20 a pack and do the job for any tuning from drop B up to D standard. 

They are also useable for drop A Mastodon tuning (D standard with the lowest string tuned to A). A lower bottom string would be ideal but if you need to change tunings it’s a lot easier to change tuning than change bass during a gig.

Frankly if D’Addario discontinued that gauge I would be pretty upset!