Why become a member? ×

Custom Molded Earplugs

Went for the custom moulds a few months ago, having used generic fits of various kinds for 15 years.  The customs are far better, although I'm still surprised how well the Flare Audio metal things work (but I found them uncomfortable if worn a lot over a few days).  The only issue I've noticed is the low end of my bass sound is attenuated more than the midrange (with ER17 filters)  so I have to be careful not to over eq to compensate. Its a pleasure to finish a loud gig and not feel the effects driving home, or the next morning.  I'm also wearing them for quieter gigs, to block out noisy crowds or if I'm standing close to cymbals.  If you want to play music for years ahead,  just get some.  

On 4/23/2018 at 16:11, BassBod said:

Went for the custom moulds a few months ago, having used generic fits of various kinds for 15 years.  The customs are far better, although I'm still surprised how well the Flare Audio metal things work (but I found them uncomfortable if worn a lot over a few days).  The only issue I've noticed is the low end of my bass sound is attenuated more than the midrange (with ER17 filters)  so I have to be careful not to over eq to compensate. Its a pleasure to finish a loud gig and not feel the effects driving home, or the next morning.  I'm also wearing them for quieter gigs, to block out noisy crowds or if I'm standing close to cymbals.  If you want to play music for years ahead,  just get some.  

The Flare Audio Isolate plugs are curious. I was dead against them at first. They seemed an overpriced rubber plug without any interesting audio properties. One of the guitarists in my main band was using them and loved them, after trying various others, and I just wouldn't have it. But eventually I gave them a try and I really like them. They let enough midrange that pitch recognition is never an issue, even in the worst stages, and I can hear my bass very clearly while still hearing everything else.

They do cut a LOT of sound, which can be a bit strange at first... but I rarely use my ACS pro 17 since. Small, quick to put in (or take out)...