Why become a member? ×

Reparing maple fretless board

oldslapper

I'm a massive fan of Maya unlined fretless P basses. I snaffle them up whenever they appear on eBay at a reasonable price.

Light, decent pickups & the necks "fit" just right for me.

Last one I bought was advertised as having some lines "drawn" on with a marker pen. OK, I'm sure I could get that off? Bass arrived not only with lines drawn on, but some with lines cut in! Seriously! Just buy a lined fretless you numpty!

Anyway, I decided not to take it further, if you think it's OK to do this to a lovely board like these, then you're unlikely to see reason on anything else (yes very judgemental I know...but seriously!)

Anyway, rant over. Any suggestions here for getting this sorted, before I take it to a luthier? I'd rather not have to get a completely new board made & fitted, but may have to. Can a board be "skimmed" and refinished? The cuts are not deep.

A new neck could be an option I guess. But if rather keep the bass as original as possible.

Just to say that it's perfectly giggable, & played it yesterday with JBEx. 

I could leave it as is, but a nice clean board has better esthetics I think.

Thanks for any help.

John 

IMAG1440.jpg

IMAG1442.jpg

This bass was certainly fretted before, has been defretted and the fretboard certainly partly sanded. If there is still enough wood, a sanding until everything has gone is possible, but as it's a fretless it's a high precision job. If you don't feel comfortable with this work, go to your luthier and for around £100 GBP, he would do the job with a lacquered finish, which is mandatory here as it's a maple board.