Why become a member? ×

New strings broke my nut!

Mornats

I decided a short while ago to string my Yamaha TRBX 504 with Rotosound Tru-Bass 88 strings to give it a nice, different range of sounds to my P and J. I found time to put them on today but as soon as I tightened the E string it broke the end off the nut! See pics below.

So I'm gutted and rather annoyed. Surely this is a manufacturing defect in the nut? Reckon I'll have any joy getting Yamaha to replace the nut or should I just fork our for a new (possibly brass) one myself?

yammy1.thumb.jpg.8c548d9571f15c22c83e1ba57661b706.jpg

yammy2.thumb.jpg.43713e978798988c33c1e2aee40a715a.jpg

yammy3.thumb.jpg.3dcaa3f38fe02b3ec7c976f45ab0e018.jpg

Yeah, and as it's my fault for putting fat-donkey strings on it without checking the nut size I don't mind forking out for a new one.

How easy is it to remove this and fit a new one yourself? Or is it something I'm better off paying a luthier for? I'm crap at DIY although I can do fret levelling, dressing and polishing ok.

There are lots if videos on YouTube showing how to change a nut. It looks like yours is easy to remove with a hammer and a block of wood.

The harder part is getting the new one the right height and slots the right depth, but if you can level and dress frets, you'll be fine doing a nut.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 14:29, BreadBin said:

It looks like your new strings may be fatter than the slot in the nut, unfortunately this can happen if you don't open the slot with a suitable needle file prior to fitting new strings. 

Unfortunately I think this is the case. I used TruBass strings a while ago and they were FAT.

On 4/21/2018 at 15:49, Mornats said:

Yeah, and as it's my fault for putting fat-donkey strings on it without checking the nut size I don't mind forking out for a new one.

How easy is it to remove this and fit a new one yourself? Or is it something I'm better off paying a luthier for? I'm crap at DIY although I can do fret levelling, dressing and polishing ok.

If you can do fret work, you can do nut work. Just be patient when filing, because if you over do it and the slots are too deep you'll need to do it again. But it's easy. Plenty of videos on youtube will help you. It doesn't take long either.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If your going to do a replacement nut yourself, my advice is to buy 2 or 3.  And go file/sand a little / check / repeat when shaping the overall nut size & cutting the slots.

And yes, nut files can be very expensive.  It's actually quite rewarding when you get it right though!