Why become a member? ×

It's Squier, Squire

prowla

8 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

The BBC don't pronounce St Austell properly - it's Snozzle not Saint orstall! 

And yet the BBC on-air staff pronounce Newcastle as if they are but recently returned from an elocution seminar led by Mr Jimmy Nail. 

I would welcome a scenario where BBC presenters were required on pain of death to pronounce British place-names exactly as does the gnarliest-accented local. It would be most entertaining, particularly the football results. 

Snozzle. I like it.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

I once bought a 1967 Volvo 123GT from a chap in North Devon. Whilst on the phone to him asking his location (pre mobile phone and Internet days) he told me, "A small village called Woolsery", he pronounced it 'Woolsree'. No matter how much I studied the map I couldn't find 'Woolsery'. I said, "All I can see in that area is a place called Woolfardisworthy". "That's it" he said, "Woolsree". Turns out 'Woolfardisworthy' is pronounced 'Woolsree', who knew? 

Even the signposts up there have Woolfardisworthy, with Woolsery bracketed underneath on them. 

• Haha 2

Some of you may know whether this is true: there's a town in Belgium called Ypres, which was in the battle zone in both world wars. I've been told that in WWI most British soldiers only heard the name rather than seeing it written, and called it "Eeps". In WWII, based on the written name, it became "Wipers".

8 minutes ago, josie said:

Some of you may know whether this is true: there's a town in Belgium called Ypres, which was in the battle zone in both world wars. I've been told that in WWI most British soldiers only heard the name rather than seeing it written, and called it "Eeps". In WWII, based on the written name, it became "Wipers".

Yep, I went there as a kid with my grandfather, he called it wipers, and went round telling all the locals. 

3 hours ago, josie said:

They also called it Wipers in WW1. Indeed, the Tommies found an old printing press and published their own (fairly seditious) newspaper. Ian Hislop wrote a play about The Wipers Times which was turned into a movie IIRC.

5349347-large.jpg?fit=386,470&ssl=1

8 hours ago, Maude said:

I once bought a 1967 Volvo 123GT from a chap in North Devon. Whilst on the phone to him asking his location (pre mobile phone and Internet days) he told me, "A small village called Woolsery", he pronounced it 'Woolsree'. No matter how much I studied the map I couldn't find 'Woolsery'. I said, "All I can see in that area is a place called Woolfardisworthy". "That's it" he said, "Woolsree". Turns out 'Woolfardisworthy' is pronounced 'Woolsree', who knew? 

Even the signposts up there have Woolfardisworthy, with Woolsery bracketed underneath on them. 

Similarly the village of Cholmondeley in Cheshire is pronounced "Chumley" and Barnoldswick on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border is known locally as "Barlick"!

Edited by rushscored4

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

I think you’ll find that’s spelled Maruszkgtqghxkkypztck,  Mr Buoy... :biggrin:

its not that hard to tell. On the mac there are these things called keyboard extensions so you set if you type n you get m. So if I type mzk it expands to the full word. And as such, I never have a problem spelling it :D

However, I am on the PC now so I am not even going to try !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

And yet the BBC on-air staff pronounce Newcastle as if they are but recently returned from an elocution seminar led by Mr Jimmy Nail. 

I would welcome a scenario where BBC presenters were required on pain of death to pronounce British place-names exactly as does the gnarliest-accented local. It would be most entertaining, particularly the football results.

My wife tends to fly into a rage whenever they say 'los anjelees' on the news.

2 hours ago, rushscored4 said:

Similarly the village of Cholmondeley in Cheshire is pronounced "Chumley" and Barnoldswick on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border is known locally as "Barlick"!

Wymondham in Norfolk is pronounced 'Wind am'

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As in the mathematical expression where n and m are variables. Although you could literally do that, although it might be a little confusing!

Easier to just peel the keys of and swap them around, similar to how you solve a Rubik's cube.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

My bug bear with presenters is the one up manship of foreign names, it started with Charlie Hebdo and I started a thread about it at the time I think? 

As the weeks pass we go from Charlie Hebdo to Jarrrleee Erbdoughh, the same thing has happened with the Julia Scripal thing, Hoooliaa Skreapaal. 

Ah yes - the ones who use Spanish pronunciation ("th" for 's') in Latin America (where they say "s"), as in "choritho".

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

My bug bear with presenters is the one up manship of foreign names, it started with Charlie Hebdo and I started a thread about it at the time I think? 

As the weeks pass we go from Charlie Hebdo to Jarrrleee Erbdoughh, the same thing has happened with the Julia Scripal thing, Hoooliaa Skreapaal. 

Yeh, I agree - total shocker that some people try to pronounce other folks' names correctly (especially on the public airwaves).  I personally hate hearing my name said right: makes me think the other person gives a damn.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeh, I agree - total shocker that some people try to pronounce other folks' names correctly (especially on the public airwaves).  I personally hate hearing my name said right: makes me think the other person gives a damn.

It's nothing to do with that, they get excessively more elaborate as the weeks pass, becomes comical almost, when I in Spain I don't expect them to put on an English accent when they use my name. 

I think the funniest wrong pronunciation is the word "harassed" which Michael Crawford deliberately mispronounced as "h'rassed" for laughs (with the emphasis on the second syllable) when he played Frank Spencer in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em... "Ooh Betty, I've been h'rassed..."!

Now everybody thinks that's right and only pedants like me still say it the traditional way (with the emphasis on the first syllable so it rhymes with embarrassed). I've even just checked with Alexa and because she's American she says "h'rassed" too!! :dash1::biggrin:

2 minutes ago, rushscored4 said:

I think the funniest wrong pronunciation is the word "harassed" which Michael Crawford deliberately mispronounced as "h'rassed" for laughs (with the emphasis on the second syllable) when he played Frank Spencer in Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em... "Ooh Betty, I've been h'rassed..."!

Now everybody thinks that's right and only pedants like me still say it the traditional way (with the emphasis on the first syllable so it rhymes with embarrassed). I've even just checked with Alexa and because she's American she says "h'rassed" too!! :dash1::biggrin:

I have literally never heard it pronounced to rhyme with embarrassed, and if I did I would think they had it wrong. But it seems you are correct!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/harassed

But language is constantly evolving. If 99% of the population say haRASSed then surely that becomes the 'right' way eventually!