Why become a member? ×

It's Squier, Squire

prowla

Just testing whether our swear filter falls for the "Scunthorpe effect". Apparently quite a lot of them do.

My mother once spotted a church calendar marking the saint's day of St Michael and All Angles. She insisted that made him the patron saint of geometry.

I knew a law student whose spell-checker changed statutes to statues.

I can't be the only one of us who's been described as playing base.

Edited by josie
Aha - "Scunthorpe" survived.
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Even if it was my dream band, I would never audition for a band advertising for a base player. It's just a principle thing - if you can't spell the instrument, you sure as hell won't respect the role! 

Massive +1 to this. Avoid like the plague.

12 hours ago, lojo said:

There was a great post I saw on FB the other day ...

Poster : I think I've an intruder in my house can someone call the police , I don't want to speak out loud I'm hiding in the bedroom and there downstairs , help please

Reply : it's "they are" not "there"

Nice one.

I'm still going with the Spanish pronunciation, after all it was Salvador Ibanez that started the company in 1870. From what I've read Hoshino Gakki imported Spanish guitars from Salvador Ibanez and sold them under that name, when the Ibanez company was sold to another company (not Gakki) Hoshino Gakki started making his own guitars using the Salvador Ibanez name, later just Ibanez. So it has never been a Japanese name. :)

And my other bugbear whilst we're on the topic of Squier - I recently thought I'd have a look around ebay and gumtree to see if there were any decent FENDER Teles and Strats around, and even though I specifically searched for FENDER, I'd say that more than half the guitars that were being advertised as FENDER were actually Squiers.

10 minutes ago, darkandrew said:

And my other bugbear whilst we're on the topic of Squier - I recently thought I'd have a look around ebay and gumtree to see if there were any decent FENDER Teles and Strats around, and even though I specifically searched for FENDER, I'd say that more than half the guitars that were being advertised as FENDER were actually Squiers.

Yep - between the Squiers being advertised as Fenders and the various fake Fenders, including counterfeits and ones with a "cheeky" waterslide applied, it can be difficult to find a real one.

18 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Pedant alert, although I'd never say it in a guitar shop it would be pronounced  Eebaneth in Spanish. 

Thank you! :hi:

It irritated me terribly for years... then I found other stuff to be annoyed at. Like bad spelling.

4 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm still going with the Spanish pronunciation, after all it was Salvador Ibanez that started the company in 1870. From what I've read Hoshino Gakki imported Spanish guitars from Salvador Ibanez and sold them under that name, when the Ibanez company was sold to another company (not Gakki) Hoshino Gakki started making his own guitars using the Salvador Ibanez name, later just Ibanez. So it has never been a Japanese name. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and ~

oh, and some ' ' ' ' ' ' ' too.

:P

I adopt a bicameral strategy when it comes to pronouncing foreign names. If I am in the UK I render Paris, Brussels and Berlin as they would be pronounced were they English place names - e.g Parriss, Burrlin or Brussles. Were I travelling in the countries of which these places are the capitals I would pronounce them respectively Parree, Bairleen and Bruce-ell / Brooozel. 

Which is why I pronounce Ibanez as Eyeburn-ezz except were I in Spain and Munich as Mewnick unless I were in Munich when I would pronounce it Mhoonch'n.

Trying faithfully to reproduce indigenous pronunciations risks the unwelcome possibility that one may be taken to be some sort of BBC newsreader, more specifically Miss Angela Rippon, she who was wont to pronounce guerrilla as g'hair-eel-ah.

Moreover I note the BBC pronounces Newcastle (Nyoocarsle) as Nookassle, presumably as a sop to interested local parties. Do they pronounce Glasgow as Glazgi? Cirencester as Soyrnzesta? Paris as Parree? Not a bit of it. It's this kind of inconsistency that confirms for me the necessity to end the license fee farrago and expose the Corporation to the chill winds of commerce.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2