Why become a member? ×

Trace preamp valves

ianrendall

I’ve recently got hold of a Trace AH600SMX, nicknamed ‘The Herniator’ and was wondering about valvage. Neither I nor  the previous owner have any idea how old the valve is, so it could be 20 years old as it’s a ‘98 amp. The valve is a 12ax7 Golden Lion. 

I’d like to replace it and am looking for recommendations. Am I right to assume that all 12ax7/ECC83 valves are designed to a certain spec and that any tonal variations are manufacturer dependent?

Yup, 12AX7 (or ECC83) are standard as regards voltage and current requirements, and have identical pin outs, so you can basically stick anything in there. 

It’s always worth a phone call to Derek at Watford Valves to discuss your requirements (more bassy / mid rangey, early breakup etc) as he really knows his onions.

8 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Yup, 12AX7 (or ECC83) are standard as regards voltage and current requirements, and have identical pin outs, so you can basically stick anything in there. 

It’s always worth a phone call to Derek at Watford Valves to discuss your requirements (more bassy / mid rangey, early breakup etc) as he really knows his onions.

Oooo early breakup sounds like a lovely option. Especially if her indoors nixes my Barefaced 15” fancying. 

I swear by JJ's for all of my Trace/valve needs. I've been using these for 10+ years now : http://www.hotroxuk.com/jj-electronics-ecc83s-12ax7.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic

Cheap as chips, super reliable. There's an 'MG' version which is a mid-gain, not sure if that aids anything in getting that warmth/bite out of it. 

The one thing I'd fault Trace on in these versions of the SMX amps is that, IRC, they did't utilise the full preamp valve signal in that you get warmth but little bite if you want some real overdrive.  

Not honestly sure it's worth the hassle of preamp valve rolling in the SMX due to this.. 

On 20/04/2018 at 21:35, paul_5 said:

Well worth calling Watford Valves. I use them a lot in the past and they are always really helpful and interesting to talk to.

When it does to pre-amp valves, I'd be tempted to buy a few and try them out.