Why become a member? ×

Looking For A Fender

JBarnes16

hey, I started playing bass a while back now and i'm looking at a new bass to the one I currently have. Fender have always looked beautiful to me, especially the classics, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding one. Thanks!

New Fender left handers are fairly easy to find nowadays, especially if you are happy to mail order. If you want a Jazz there are Squier, Mexican or USA models depending on your budget. There’s only a USA Precision though. 

For a used one, you just need to keep an eye on this place, eBay, Gumtree etc. And go into all the music stores you come across on your travels just in case there’s a neglected lefty that you can make an offer on. 

• 3 weeks later...

it's been a source of annoyance with me for ages, all these cheaper Jazz alternatives and hardly any P's, I finished up buying an American Standard Precision (glad I did now), Japanese ones are like hens teeth.

Depends how much patience you've got looking for a second hand one to come up,, the new American Professional Precisions seem expensive to me

Sire is producing lefty P's these days, with an added J pickup and active 3-band EQ (but also a passive mode). Looks nice, and so far the reviews are raving. I do believe they have a Jazz Bass neck width. 

But yeah, a MIM level Fender P would have been nice. Especially the Classic Series. 

1 hour ago, JBarnes16 said:

Just found one for sale on this website but i'm not sure about it as I've never seen the website before. Any help? http://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/store/fender-american-standard-jazz-bass-left-hand-3-color-sunburst-rosewood-fingerboard-electric-bass-guitar/

plenty of decent lefty jazzes about, I've got a perfectly acceptable Squier VM,  it's precisions that are the problem

17 hours ago, JBarnes16 said:

Just found one for sale on this website but i'm not sure about it as I've never seen the website before. Any help? http://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/store/fender-american-standard-jazz-bass-left-hand-3-color-sunburst-rosewood-fingerboard-electric-bass-guitar/

You can buy that in the UK/ Europe pretty easily. You don't need to go to the US. By the time you've paid duty etc. You'll be at European price anyway so you won't save anything at all. 

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

You can buy that in the UK/ Europe pretty easily. You don't need to go to the US. By the time you've paid duty etc. You'll be at European price anyway so you won't save anything at all. 

Ok thanks!

20 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

personally, I'd be very wary about buying a bass from the USA, with delivery possible VAT and customs duty it's not that cheap, plus if anything goes wrong you've got real problems

I suppose so, i'll keep checking more locally then

On 9-5-2018 at 21:46, PaulWarning said:

it's been a source of annoyance with me for ages, all these cheaper Jazz alternatives and hardly any P's

There's a new Player series coming up, made in Mexico, with a choice of maple or pau ferro fingerboard, and apparently not just black and sunburst either. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2018 at 13:24, LeftyJ said:

There's a new Player series coming up, made in Mexico, with a choice of maple or pau ferro fingerboard, and apparently not just black and sunburst either. 

Any idea on timescale and prices?

Somewhere in June, and no. I read it on leftybassist.com, it was posted by a member who works in a music store and got a mailing from Fender. Supposedly they're replacing the MIM Standard series, same way the American Professional replaced the American Standard. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Somewhere in June, and no. I read it on leftybassist.com, it was posted by a member who works in a music store and got a mailing from Fender. Supposedly they're replacing the MIM Standard series, same way the American Professional replaced the American Standard. 

Now I have G.A.S. again. :D