Why become a member? ×

What bass would you get for your 50th?

rmcki

50th Birthday arriving this summer, so i've decided to get get myself another bass.

Way back in 1989 i was in a music shop in Glasgow with only £500 and wished i had enough for a Wal selling for £800ish. That's an itch that hasn't gone away.
Well it's now 29 years later and i think that's enough dilly dallying . With that in mind i thought i would test my resolve by asking the gentlemen of this parish two things

1. What would you buy yourself for a 50th birthday prezzy?
  2. What bass has always called out to you, but could never afford it?

For me it's a 5 string Wal

Edited by rmcki
  • Thanks 1

50th?? Those days have long gone, I'm afraid.

Given any budget I'd either get one of the luthiers here to build me something - there's some under-recognised talent amongst us - or a Ritter R8. Neither will make me rich if/when I sold them - the depreciation on the R8 will be horrendous, the BC build unrecognised - but I know I'd enjoy playing them.

A Squier. No question. Frankly any type of Squier. Just so long as it's a Squier.

Of 231 BC poll respondents, 93.51% said that you could do pretty much anything with a Squier.

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of these important facts on my 50th and had to make do and mend with a Sandberg.

I guess if I hadn't come across this ground breaking piece of research about Squiers, I might still be tempted by a Yamaha BBNE2 (black or white but probably not the limited edition grey).

But no longer, only a Squier will now do...and frankly I don't even care even if it's been relic'd. At heart it will still be a Squier.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 5

Actually, never got myself a bass for my birthday, but for the christmas before my 50th my mother paid for half of a squier that I was looking at.

I still have it, I could do pretty much everything with it. Except it is a 4 string, and a P, so I really don't play it much!

For just before my 50th I got a Fender Jazz, which I then played as my main bass in my group at the time for the next year, but sold last year, because it was a 4 and I don't play 4s any more.

Haven't had any more birthday basses, but for last birthday I got a fancy titanium knee. Most expensive present anyone has ever got me!

A pre-CBS precision is my holy grail. My friend's refinished '64 is the finest bass I've ever laid hands on. Maybe a Celinder P given the 2nd best bass I ever played was a Celinder Jazz (the Skarbee Celinder that was owned by a few guys on here over the years but has gone into hiding more recently). 

Having owned a Wal (and played a few more) I'd suggest you speak to Alan at ACG... Much more flexible in terms of available options and, to me at least, a much more pleasing end result. 

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 2

I was allowed to buy a '66 Precision on my 50th.  My YOB bass would have been too expensive (and not getting any cheaper either).  Although post-CBS, Leo and the team were still building them at that point.  It's a cracker I have to say.

13 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

My 50th is in November and I suggested to my wife I might but a Mustang PJ. She suggested I might not reach 51 if I do - apparently 2 basses is enough for anyone.

You told her? And you're nearly 50? When are you going to learn?! xD

I wanted to get a bass from my past from when I started learning to play, & the brand of basses that held a sentimental meaning to me for my 50th last August. I grew up in a town in North Wales which had one guitar shop & was a Peavey dealer & also that my, late Father had bought me a 79 T-40 for my 21st back in 1988 so made my mind up for me. So last July I found a 1992 Peavey Foundation on eBay and even though it had the Super Ferrite pickups like the 80's models, the body & headstock shape just were not the same but I bought it anyway.

Fast forward to this February  and with help from kodiakblair found a 1986 Peavey Foundation in, good condition from a fellow BC member dave.c which ticked all the boxes. An 80's bass from when I was 19 and the thought of turning 50 was a life time away, I miss the 80's plus as bassists I honestly thought we had it better then than now.

20180330_165521 (3).jpg

Edited by luckman67
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, paddy109 said:

My 50th is in November and I suggested to my wife I might but a Mustang PJ. She suggested I might not reach 51 if I do - apparently 2 basses is enough for anyone.

New wife for your 50th. What is this 2 bass nonsense?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Slightly different for me, I was going to treat myself to a Fender 51 Reissue Precision on my 51st, but for some reason never got round to it.

So you now need to get a Fender 54 Reissue Precision then? If you leave a few years the Fender 62s were supposed to be really good...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Missed that boat but I guess I’d go...

• YOB Jazz bass - preCBS natch
  • Overwater of some type
  • Maruzcrhbikggcdytk Elwood with MM and J pickups or twin soap bars
  • Sandberg of similar spec

I'd have said Wal 4 string but that would be greedy... mind you, a Mk 3 would be nice!