Why become a member? ×

What bass would you get for your 50th?

rmcki

Not exactly as per the OP but - if someone offered to buy you, or go halves on, any bass you wanted - my son went for halves on a new white MIA Fender P. Which cost me more than the whole of my 2nd hand black Jazz Aerodyne. I wouldn't swap them for any money and nor would he. We're playing different types of music and both respect that. We're both happy :-)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help ladies and gentlemen. You have total NOT helped (too many good suggestions). :dash1:
I think i hanker for the good old days when there was a choise of 2.

As part of my plan i've just shown my (Much) better half 3 basses.

1. Wal mk3 5 string
  2. Fodera Emperor 5
  3. ACG Uber Recuve 5

The bass she liked best was...... the ACG (tried to make sure they all looked similar) and she did remind me we are not rolling in it....

On 24/04/2018 at 16:08, bartelby said:

back on topic:

I already own one of the basses I'd have chosen for a 50th birthday bass. My Aria Pro II SB Black n' Gold.

If I had the money I'd commission one of these:

14121_45viewL.jpg.207802c83afd09bcff6d68930a12794a.jpg

I have one similar to the one above but a black Europa model with two pickups and signature electronics. I didn't take up bass as my first instrument till about 5 yrs ago so will be looking for something special when i get to the next number with a zero at the end. 

That's a great choice and here is one owned by a bass player friend of mine in Holland. 

211193.jpg&sp=74fb552fc97a6935eb39e8fadd

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 2

I have a personal and useful GAS-limitation rule that I will never buy a 5 with a 4/1 headstock. They just look like the fifth string has been stuck on as an afterthought and not really thought through, and it bugs me. That rules out a lot of excellent basses that I couldn't afford anyway :-)  I have one 5/0 (Fender Jazz Plus) and four 3/2s (two GMR electrics, two Michael Kelly acoustics). Must be enough surely? :-)

Well isn't that interesting, I prefer the those very ones that fit outside your rule. So we won't be in any competitions for 5 string basses anytime soon. :-). But I've run out of GAS now so no new gear for me anytime soon apart from replacing anything that gets broken or worn out.

If I was going up to sixers I'd go for a 4 + 2 on an angled headstock or 3 + 3 on a non angled one. 

16 hours ago, discreet said:

Fishing for a YOB bass for my 60th. The family know this, but as yet have little idea of the cost...

...surely 1960 P Basses can't be that expensive, can they? They're second-hand, old and battered!

Like me. :(

Sometimes a bit corroded too.  Seems massively unfair.

As I couldn't afford a 1960 P bass (must have been a good year) I now lie about my age.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eude said:

That's wonderful news!

Care to share the spec?

• 34" scale
  • Body core: Black Walnut
  • Top: Ziracote
  • 3mm sycamore accent
  • F/B: AI Mac Ebony
  • pre amp: ACG DFM 4K
  • Pickups: ACG multi coli (MC5)

cant wait....