Why become a member? ×

What bass would you get for your 50th?

rmcki

2 hours ago, Jenny_Innie said:

Everyone should own a Fender Precision.  The proper American one - used to be called Standard, now called Professional.

Get yourself a new one of those and understand that you own the benchmark against which all other basses are measured.

Respect will be yours when you stand on a stage.  An unquestionable seat at the top table of bass playing.

Don't get me wrong, the Fender P is an icon, it has a much loved tone and it's a great bass. 

But owning a great bass (whatever make it is) does not make you a great bass player or by, itself, get you any respect.

It's definitely NOT 'all about the bass'. It is all about the bass player. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jenny_Innie said:

The American Fender ain't no run of the mill Ford Focus.  It is an icon.  An iconic sound matched by nothing else and never bettered.  

A sweeping statement that means nothing.

I love a good US Precision, but I've played and owned better Japanese made Fender P's for half the price. I love a good P sound but have an old Tokai P that delivers an identical tone (possibly even better).

The Precision is an icon and I love it. But there are imho equally good and/or better and more versatile instruments out there..... many of which suit alternative styles of playing better.....

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Don't get me wrong, the Fender P is an icon, it has a much loved tone and it's a great bass. 

But owning a great bass (whatever make it is) does not make you a great bass player or by, itself, get you any respect.

It's definitely NOT 'all about the bass'. It is all about the bass player. 

Can't see that I said it was.  They'll be happy that you have brought the right equipment - but after that, it's up to you.

1 hour ago, Jenny_Innie said:

Why are you being rude to me?

I’m not; it’s the attitude that only a Fender P (a US one at that) is sufficient. 

You’ve also derailed a thread about dream purchases with a very narrow minded opinion. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jenny_Innie said:

Everyone should own a Fender Precision.  The proper American one - used to be called Standard, now called Professional.

Get yourself a new one of those and understand that you own the benchmark against which all other basses are measured.

Respect will be yours when you stand on a stage.  An unquestionable seat at the top table of bass playing.

I’ve owned 2 US P’s in my time. A 70’s and a 90’s which were both fine (much better than my J that came newcand unplayable, the neck needed a shim!) I have huge respect for the man who designed the P nearly 70 years ago, but even he redesigned it several times in his life time. Personally I find the neck width too wide, but you can now get Ps with J sized necks which solves that problem. However the company making them is not what it used to be and the quality for the money is sometimes very questionable. Other makers seem to be able to produce their versions to a better standard than Fender.

This thread is about what to get for your 50th. If you have survived gigging, carrying the additionally heavy gear needed for bass playing and the stresses of life upto that age without ruining your back, shoulder , arm and any other part of your anatomy then you’re amazing. Probably many of us need to find something that weighs in a bit less than the average 10lb of a Precision.

However I feel it’s case of been there done that got the tee shirt, time to move on. 

2 hours ago, EMG456 said:

Not everyone. I would be decidedly unhappy to be turning up to any situation with only a Fender P bass.

I don’t know, pretty handy in a fist fight!

edit - autocorrect, what the hell is a fiat fight :)

Edited by Woodinblack

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don’t know, pretty handy in a fist fight!

edit - autocorrect, what the hell is a fiat fight :)

A fiat fight - one that breaks down fairly quickly. (although not as quickly as an Alfa fight - which lasts until shortly before squaring up time.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

I’m not; it’s the attitude that only a Fender P (a US one at that) is sufficient. 

You’ve also derailed a thread about dream purchases with a very narrow minded opinion. 

You come at me with snide trolling remarks.  I call that rude, but I guess you're just projecting your feelings.  I shall not see your comments again.

9 minutes ago, Jenny_Innie said:

You come at me with snide trolling remarks.  I call that rude, but I guess you're just projecting your feelings.  I shall not see your comments again.

Says the  Fender troll. Go sealion some other forum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jenny_Innie said:

I know this shows I'm tight, but it would bug me to buy a bass for a treat for my 50th, in the full knowledge that as I walk through the door it's value drops about 50%. For that reason I'd probably look out for a used bass I've always wanted.

Each to their own. Some get a kick out of the smell of new paint I guess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

Have you played a WAL? Back then I wanted an Alembic so much.......than I got to play two and didn't like them......I bought a WAL mk1. Just saying, the bass you admire so much might not be so good when you play it, always check it out. Good luck with your search.

Very good point, especially after waiting so long

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I know this shows I'm tight, but it would bug me to buy a bass for a treat for my 50th, in the full knowledge that as I walk through the door it's value drops about 50%. For that reason I'd probably look out for a used bass I've always wanted.

Each to their own. Some get a kick out of the smell of new paint I guess.

Yep good point, means the risk of not liking the bass wouldn't cost lots of £££.