Why become a member? ×

What bass would you get for your 50th?

rmcki

I've been thinking about this one as well... it's looming in the future (though not as soon as rmcki), and it would be nice to get something to mark the occaision.

Rickenbacker 4003 or 4004

or

Thunderbird with a wide nut

or

Something else... ???

Though the Ric is definitely top of the list.

14 hours ago, Bigwan said:

A pre-CBS precision is my holy grail. My friend's refinished '64 is the finest bass I've ever laid hands on. Maybe a Celinder P given the 2nd best bass I ever played was a Celinder Jazz (the Skarbee Celinder that was owned by a few guys on here over the years but has gone into hiding more recently). 

Having owned a Wal (and played a few more) I'd suggest you speak to Alan at ACG... Much more flexible in terms of available options and, to me at least, a much more pleasing end result. 

I have though about and ACG, i had a Finn 5 for a while and loved it. The purpose of the post was to test my resolve and i must admit that an Über ART Recurve 5 could topple the Wal. I think i would feel awkward sending Alan a picture of a Wal saying build me your version of this. Are there any basschatters who own both, what is your view on the ACG over a Wal?

10 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

It’s my 50th next year.... a ‘year of birth’ Precision would be most welcome, failing that I’ve wanted a 4001/4003 since I was eleven. MrsBass is welcome to contribute, should she feel the need.

Moi aussi

i already have two basses and I’m building a third and suspect that SWMBO will also say that’s enough - for the playing that I actually do, I agree 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So you now need to get a Fender 54 Reissue Precision then? If you leave a few years the Fender 62s were supposed to be really good...

That`s cruel Bas, my powers of imagination hadn`t got round to those thoughs - they`re now firmly implanted in the brain, drat!

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That`s cruel Bas, my powers of imagination hadn`t got round to those thoughs - they`re now firmly implanted in the brain, drat!

No apology from me, mate. You could have far worse thoughts on the brain :) - besides just remind yourself that you're clearly worth it! And you have sold a ton of gear this past year, so there should be plenty of space in the Lozz bass cave! 

Hmm, good question. Also as 50 is not too far away (6 yrs) maybe a question to ask myself too :)

In no particular order:

- An original 62 Jazz

- a 57 original P

- a Zon Sonus in my favourite spec, I lusted after one when I was 20 or so but could not afford it

- a Wal mk3

- a single cut hi-end bass, specs and builder to be established

Edited by HazBeen

I did the nostalgia thing and bought a 4001, like I'd saved up for and bought for my 18th, from GAK on t'internet...it went back the next day; it was rubbish. Beware rose-tinted specs...:|

Then I did the sensible thing and contacted Jon Shuker, we exchanged many exciting emails, and I got exactly, exactly what I wanted made for me. I'd said to friends I didn't want any presents, but they could chuck something in a hat for me...turned out to be a fairly big hat, and the Shuker didn't cost me much at all...it is, you won't be surprised to hear, a keeper, for lots of reasons :D

4 hours ago, rmcki said:

I think i would feel awkward sending Alan a picture of a Wal saying build me your version of this. Are there any basschatters who own both, what is your view on the ACG over a Wal?

I wouldn't feel awkward at all! It's just about wood choices really, isn't it? He has his set range of body shapes and set headstock shapes after all. Just send him a pic saying you're looking for this kind of look, similar woods and he can suggest what he has that could get you close. I would have done the same, except in my case it was one of his previous builds that I liked the look of. As it turned out he still had the billet he'd cut the top off that I'd admired so I got the next slice off it! There's been at least one more since and they all look equally awesome. 

5 hours ago, rmcki said:

I have though about and ACG, i had a Finn 5 for a while and loved it. The purpose of the post was to test my resolve and i must admit that an Über ART Recurve 5 could topple the Wal. I think i would feel awkward sending Alan a picture of a Wal saying build me your version of this. Are there any basschatters who own both, what is your view on the ACG over a Wal?

I've owned both, and still own the ACG when the Wals are long gone.

• One is different from the other, not necessarily better.
  • I much prefer the asymmetric neck on the ACG over the fat profile of a Wal.
  • The tonal palette are each unique - you can't get a ACG to sound like a Wal, not sure that you can the other way round either.
  • Most of the Wals look alike (made from your Gran's old wardrobe) while I've yet to see two ACGs that do.
  • Alan seems to pick all the most exquisite pieces of timber from his supplier.
  • Alan will build you whatever you want, Wal will build you a Wal.
  • Alan will charge you a couple of grand for a unique piece, while Wal will charge you close to five for one of their standard models.
  • Alan will probably have yours finished for your birthday, Wal might put you on the list but it's unlikely that the wood will have been cut.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 is long gone... but on my birthday last year I had a little day trip up from Manchester to the excellent and dangerous Promenade Music in Morecambe, and came back with a Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless acoustic 5, for half list price with a new set of chrome flats thrown in. I know there's not much love for acoustic basses here, and the look of this one is a bit Marmite (someone on BC at the time described it as "looking like a tart's handbag") but the build quality and tone are excellent, and I love the feel of playing it.

https://michaelkellyguitars.com/en/products/view/dragonfly-fretless-5

P1030939.thumb.jpg.d27d73f0d68d02f5bcc3ec997774c7f3.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Highfox said:

50 came and went but, did just recently get my Wal delivered. Now nothing else compares :)

Oh you Wal owners, stop it! 

The one thing the rest of us console ourselves with, is the lack of the second mortgage :D

• Haha 2

For my 50th birthday, all I wanted was a simple meal home with my lovely wife, nothing else, no fancy fair or big fiesta. And it happened just that way : to me, it's the most prized present I ever had.

Getting back to your asking, just as some fellow bass players already wrote, if you are into the Wal thing, get yourself a Wal, but as Mick said, you won't have it ready for your birthday unless it's a second hand.

Having owned a 4 strings fretless Wal in the 90's (that I sold and bought back twice to finally let it go to a friend who sold it I don't know where, which is a good thing :crazy:) and having tried the ACG's, I would say that I prefer the ACG's. The V-shaped neck on the Wal was something really special and the Wal preamp is a bit capricious.

That said, now that I will turn 53 this August, I'm thinking of a Zon Hyperbass II or a Leduc U-Basse 6 strings fretless or a Lefay Remington Steele 6 strings (a unique metal fretboard fretless bass), but even if order one of them today, I won't get it for my birthday. :angry2:

And yes I'm a fretless man and proud of it.

• Like 1