Why become a member? ×

Buena Vista Social Club - BBC4 tonight

casapete

BBC4 seem to be having a Latin evening tonight. At 9pm there is 'Buena Vista Social Club', which if you haven't seen it is a

wonderful film, directed by Wim Wenders and featuring some amazing Cuban musicians including bassist Orlando Lopez.

Ry Cooder was involved in the production too, and plays on some songs.

• Thanks 1

I saw them at Colston Hall in 2007.  Orlando was really knocking on by that point, he had to be helped onto stage, someone held his bass as the other draped him over it, where he proceeded to play beautifully for two hours. My wife and I then went back to the hotel and had the night ruined by a drunken Irish stag do throwing plant pots down the corridors all night. When we went down to breakfast they were all being arrested and I tucked into the free coffee. We had finished eating when my wife said to me ‘I think we’re sharing breakfast with some special people’ Thinking she was referring to the drunken idiots I looked up to see the Buena Vista guys queuing up for a full English. Amped up on no sleep and four coffees I promptly charged over to Orlando and they all instantly crowded round him, but seeing that I only wanted to shake his hand they all relaxed. It was a bizarre way to meet a hero, but every time I hear that hear his playing wondering just how on Earth he did it I’m grateful to a bunch of yobbos who spent the night shouting they were the IRA.

• Like 3