Why become a member? ×

NAD: Tech21 VTBASS 500

ForestPoetry

I'm a devoted Sansamp user. I swear by the thing, I borrow plenty of heads at gigs but the BDI has been my go to more often than not for several years. I borrowed one of these VT heads for a gig once and I've been GASsing ever since.

This has replaced my Eden WTX 264 which, while quite a nice head, got used literally once for a rehearsal. When you're playing with bands that'll lend you and SVT-3 Pro, the Eden doesn't really get a look in. I'm very happy with this! The Sansamp stuff is always so warm and musical to my ears, and having a better version of the BDI attatched to a 500w power amp is a match made in heaven IMO.

30740910_581361592228805_3745559748125130752_n.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Better version of the BDI? Isnt this head based on the VTBass? Not the same thing at all. Nice amp either way.

I thought that too. 

A while back on here the question was asked about the differences between the bass driver (deluxe) and the VT bass (deluxe) and the response from Tech21 was

Our BDD and VTBD do share the same interface. The main difference is type of tones each is capable of. The BDD is based on the tone of our Bass Driver DI which has a built in mid-scoop and voiced for more modern playing styles. The VTBD is based on our Character Series VT Bass pedal which is voiced like the Ampeg SVT amp.Obviously sound is quite subjective so I would recommend checking the two out with your own bass if possible. There are also a number of videos on YouTube to use for reference as well.

If you love the SVT sound then I think you're on a winner!

Yep, both sound great (i have a VTBass DI and BDDI), but they are definitely not the same thnig. The fact that the amp has a Character knob means its not going to give the same tone as BDDI (and the fact that its called a VTBass lol).

Hmmm, i am quite fond of the VTBass tone these days, maybe i should try one of these heads.

50 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I thought that too. 

A while back on here the question was asked about the differences between the bass driver (deluxe) and the VT bass (deluxe) and the response from Tech21 was

If you love the SVT sound then I think you're on a winner!

Actually, isnt this back to front? I thought the VTBass pedals could get old school and modern tones, whereas the BDDI is based on the SVT and just variations of it.

"The BDD is based on the tone of our Bass Driver DI which has a built in mid-scoop and voiced for more modern playing styles. The VTBD is based on our Character Series VT Bass pedal which is voiced like the Ampeg SVT amp"

1 hour ago, ForestPoetry said:

Uncertain, I tend to usually use whatever backline the venue/other bands bring along. I would be quite keen to pair this up with a nice big Trace 1x15 though! Or perhaps a Markbass for portability. 

I’d be interested to hear how the beast interacts with various cabs; keep us informed.

3 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

The BDDI is the earlier Sansamp bass preamp, and while very good sounding does have a sound which is quite light on the mids. It's not always clean, but it does fall into a more modern sound. The most recent version now includes a mid control with selectable frequency, but I haven't had a chance to try one.

The VT Bass came later, and is designed to specifically emulate an Ampeg, particularly an SVT (would have been hard to have made that much clearer in the name without stepping on copyright, I'd have thought!).

I have a VT Bass Rack in my 'big-rig' along with an RPM- the rack version of the Para Driver. I usually blend the two, but alone the VT is very good for that warm, round, dirty compression kind of sound, very similar to an SVT up loud. The character knob seems to scoop or boost the mids before the drive part of the circuit so is very flexible. Incidentally, although I usually run it without, the emulation on the RPM seems to me much in the vein of a Fender Bassman at the bottom end of the gain range.

The products obviously get the the big thumbs up from me, but I can also say that Tech (@Tech21NYC) have been truly awesome on the customer service front for me. Extremely helpful, and have given me tech advice well beyond the call of duty in a very friendly manner. Hats off to 'em!

Isn't it strange how a pedal (BDDI) that was released so long ago, based on old amps, is considered to produce a modern tone. Still, i love mine. Ive had both the second gen and the V2 with the mid. The Mid control, and the adjustable Freq points really make this pedal a lot more versatile. both as dirt box and an EQ.

Back on topic, i went to my mates rehearsal space tonight, as i know they have one of these VTBass heads there. Ive never really paid it much attention before. Had a quick play through an old 4x10 cab.  It seems very powerful, more so than just putting a VTBass in front of my amps. Very, very tempted to get one now. im going to take my Vanderkley 1x15 along at some point.

35 minutes ago, Callumjord said:

I was stuck between this and the ashdown RM500 evo when I was looking to upgrade my eden wtx264... Ended up going with the ashdown. I love the characters series pedal though

I have to be honest, I've never been mad about Ashdown. I appreciate their ruggedness and straightforwardness, as well as the transparency you can get from them. But I do love the way the Sansamp colours the tone. Those Evo heads are nice though!

4 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Interesting one that- I've obviously gone and used the term myself, but it may be a bit of a misnomer which I've wondered about! By 'modern' we are probably referencing a voicing which became prevalent in the 80's and 90's. In a very broad generalisation, there has been a move back to the use of more traditional bass guitar sounds compared to that time.

Truly modern would be the use of new technology to create the sounds of old technology- we're using the highest fidelity we've ever had to accurately replicate lo-fi gear, but without the practical drawbacks.

Of course tastes and fashions shift and 'modern' will no doubt become current again! xD

Gotta love the past eh lol.

The VT Bass was designed to cover a wider territory of Ampeg style tones. It has the Character control which allows you to easily morph into these different sonic territories. The VT Bass 500 amp has some of the features of the VT Bass DI and some additional features for more flexibility. 

Edited by Tech21NYC
  • Like 1