Why become a member? ×

Anyone use Labella black nylon tapewounds?

markdavid

Got a set of the Hofner specific set in light gauge 100-50 , I wanted tapewounds and also something with very low tension and these looked like they fit the bill, awaiting delivery and looking forward to trying these, anoyone here used Labella black nylon tapewounds ?

I've used black, white and copper nylons from La Bella.  Absolutely superb strings.  Smooth, low tension but high gauge so you can really dig in.  Last a lifetime.

The white nylons remain my string of choice for fretless.

39986173885_52a441a0f6_b.jpg

Edited by walbassist
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, markdavid said:

Got a set of the Hofner specific set in light gauge 100-50 , I wanted tapewounds and also something with very low tension and these looked like they fit the bill, awaiting delivery and looking forward to trying these, anoyone here used Labella black nylon tapewounds ?

Based on what you’re looking for you won’t be disappointed. I use a set on my Sandberg P bass and absolutely love them. I was worried I wouldn’t like the tension but as soon as the strings were on the bass and I had it in my hands all worries were out the window. 

11 hours ago, walbassist said:

I've used black, white and copper nylons from La Bella.  Absolutely superb strings.  Smooth, low tension but high gauge so you can really dig in.  Last a lifetime.

The white nylons remain my string of choice for fretless.

39986173885_52a441a0f6_b.jpg

The white nylons are brilliant. Unlike most other tapewounds, they do bright sounds as well as the more 'thumpy' ones if you want them to and their low mids are just right. very tight and defined bottom end. I love them. Their copper version is even better on the low mids, I think, although their colour can look a bit weird on some basses. Either the standard white nylons or the copper version would be my choice.

51 minutes ago, markdavid said:

Have received the Labellas and very happy so far, nice low tension, feels comparable to Ti jazz flats, tone is nice but strings are only 24hrs old so will need more time to break these in 

They will only get better, trust me! Enjoy :) 

And i am very dissapointed to say that these may be coming off, love the tone at home but had an experience at a jam night https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/323772-strange-claritydefinition-issue-at-jam-night-anyone-else-had-similar-experience/ where my bass just sounded like mush, whilst this was undoubtedly an eq issue my bass sounded this way even when I was tuning up between songs so I think the strings are part of the issue as well.  

1 hour ago, markdavid said:

And i am very dissapointed to say that these may be coming off, love the tone at home but had an experience at a jam night https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/323772-strange-claritydefinition-issue-at-jam-night-anyone-else-had-similar-experience/ where my bass just sounded like mush, whilst this was undoubtedly an eq issue my bass sounded this way even when I was tuning up between songs so I think the strings are part of the issue as well.  

that's why I prefer the copper white nylons instead, it's too easy to get all 'thumpy' on most black nylons... which is fine if that's what you're going for, but I'm not.

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

that's why I prefer the copper white nylons instead, it's too easy to get all 'thumpy' on most black nylons... which is fine if that's what you're going for, but I'm not.

I love thumpy tones but it is important also for me to be able to hear what I am playing, with the black nylons they sounded great at home but in a live environment I couldn't even hear what I was playing between songs and they were boomy to the extent that actually lost that thump which I find the thump is usually the result of a tight, non boomy, focused low end

Edited by markdavid

On 4/26/2018 at 10:27, markdavid said:

I love thumpy tones but it is important also for me to be able to hear what I am playing, with the black nylons they sounded great at home but in a live environment I couldn't even hear what I was playing between songs and they were boomy to the extent that actually lost that thump which I find the thump is usually the result of a tight, non boomy, focused low end

tight non-boomy focused low end is what copper white nylons do well... it's just your definition of thumpy and mine are a bit different... tomorrow we can talk about 'growl' :D 

No one ever seems to mention the Fender 9120 black tapewound. I have them on my fretted and fretless acoustics, fretless P and did have them on my Bex4 but swapped that for some half rounds as I like the higher tension. The Fender tapes really aren't muddy at all, quite bright like average rounds but with a really nice fundamental to them.