Why become a member? ×

ditching the head+cab for a combo?

hrnn1234

Ampeg have their Portaflex series heads which can be mounted on the removable cab lids and flipped over when gigging or stored inside the cab when not. I have a PF-50T tube amp mounted on my PF-115HE cab but I can unscrew it and attach a PF-500 of PF-800 head using the same pre-drilled mountings or a smaller PF-350 (which I also have) using pre-drilled inner mountings.

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Yeah - I just want that for our own choice of head and cab.

What, bolt an Ampeg SVT-CL onto an 8 X 10?

Edit: Actually, Trace did an 8X10 combo. For some reason it didn't take off. :D

img_4402-jpg.1493801

Edited by discreet

On 23/04/2018 at 19:40, discreet said:

img_4402-jpg.1493801

Can you imagine the weight of that beast?

Back to the combo discussion,   I used to switch between head/cab and combo.  My SMX head and (various) cabs or a 1215 SMX combo when I needed a quick switch.

Oodles of power but alas, carrying up and down stairs could be a bit of sweat, especially with the 2x10 models.

10 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Oodles of power but alas, carrying up and down stairs could be a bit of sweat...

Loving everything about my Series 6 GP7 7215 combo apart from the usual issue. Going to be gigging more over the summer, so may have to rethink. It's a shame as it sounds really killer, but it's 35kg and I'm a lazy git...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deedee said:

Can you imagine the weight of that beast?

Back to the combo discussion,   I used to switch between head/cab and combo.  My SMX head and (various) cabs or a 1215 SMX combo when I needed a quick switch.

Oodles of power but alas, carrying up and down stairs could be a bit of sweat, especially with the 2x10 models.

Note the wattage - 250 - stated in the brochure. Of course, they were "proper" watts back in them days...

• Like 1

I've tried it & didn't like it for the following reasons 

A.I like the height for monitoring

B. It sounds better  

C. I use the pitch Black rack tuner its very light & has a lead tester .

D. The individual items are lighter than the combo I was using .

E . It looks a lot cooler  (very important) 

On 21/04/2018 at 16:43, spongebob said:

It's a Mercedes SLK....the 350 (3.5 litre V6). Boot space is bigger than most hard top convertibles! Yes, I am a flash git!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a really unpractical car for gigging. xD

Having said that I can get my One10 cab, GK MB500, Musicman Sterling and cable bag plus our guitarists Fender 65 Twin Reverb combo, 2 guitars, pedal board, 2 cable bags & our gigging clothes (and our guitarist) in my Scirocco R

But back to the OP - I've always had big rigs. Usually 2 4x10" or 15"s etc plus amp but my last setup was a Fender Rumble 500 combo. Fantastic and really loud but I wanted something smaller and lighter as it was only going to be a monitor so I have the setup I have now. I did initially buy an MB200 but felt that I was pushing it too hard. I'd rather have the higher powered amp ticking over than over exert a lower powered one.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:40, discreet said:

img_4402-jpg.1493801

Ashdown did a 8 x10  Mark King Combo ....made perfect sense for a touring band tilt back & wheel straight into van ..