Why become a member? ×

Orange OB1 - Any thoughts?

mr4stringz

Had one since they launched, I don't tend to use the gain/blend side of it much but it's there If needed. Other than that it's a good amp, more versatile tone wise than the Terror Bass that it replaced in their range which is still a great amp if you like it's sound. It's loud too.

Will you use the gain/blend side of it? If not I would say have a go on the 4stroke, I think if that had been launched at the same time as the OB series I may well have bought one of those instead, I know it's a bit dearer but there's a fair bit more eq available.

Edited by doomed

22 hours ago, doomed said:

Will you use the gain/blend side of it? If not I would say have a go on the 4stroke, I think if that had been launched at the same time as the OB series I may well have bought one of those instead, I know it's a bit dearer but there's a fair bit more eq available.

For those looking at both... the 4 Stroke has a really fab growl which increases with the compression, but it doesn't do full-on fuzzy. Sounds (to me) rather like a value amp with the gain set just as it starts to bite, plus a very strong eq. I like it a lot.

Studio recording with mic-ed up 4 Stroke here.

• Like 1

I have the OB1-500, been my main amp for 8 months. I use it with a barefaced four10.

It's a really excellent piece of kit. The clean sound is huge, even with my 8-ohm load I never get above 4 on the dial (very loud band).

I didn't really choose it for the dirty channel, but the blend and dirt are exceptionally good, way better than the big muff I used to use.

Can't recommend it enough. Come and try mine out if you're in Hampshire.

12 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

I haven’t. Are they as decent for the price as I’ve heard?

that said I am trying to get away from a combo, with my TB is...

For the price? Pretty much unbeatable. There's one in my bag in case my helix goes down.

That said, I don't think a bdi would hold a candle to any of the top flight amps being discussed here as a permanent tone solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the OB1-300 - tons of power - I never have the volume even close the halfway with my 3 piece band, through an Eden 410

The totally clean channel is a bit meh! for me, but adding just a touch of the overdrive via the blend really adds some body to the sound.  

I've had 2 TB500s over the years, and bought the OB1 totally on-spec, as someone had a Make Me An Offer on the Bay, so I did ;-)