Why become a member? ×

Does anyone just use a bass & amp?

The59Sound

Pete, our bassist (and me when we allow him to do his 1/2 doz numbers on lead guitar), plugs the EB3 Tribute I built him directly into the PA.

Having said that, the tribute has a proper induction choke-equipped variomatic with three settings and loads of tone options

But having said that having said that... he actually plays on just one setting - the standard neck position. :facepalm:

Edited by Andyjr1515

6-string fretless straight into Hiwatt DR205, all eq at 12h00, into HH 2x15 cab. Clip-on tuner, as being in tune is more important than having a good tone (which we have, in spades...).
Oh, and a decent pair of ears, too, but that goes without saying, I suppose. :|

1 hour ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Have you seen this one?
PW-CT-12_MAIN.jpg

Face it to the back of the headstock and there's not much visible from the front. If your bass has a black headstock then it becomes invisible. Not a very big screen but if you have a decent vision won't be a problem.

EDIT: more pics:

like i described:

planet-waves-ns-mini-headstock-tuner-twi

or, completely invisible:
vfm7yzqbcb00lompioge.jpg

I always use a polytune wired into the tuner out, it's there then no matter what bass I'm using. 

2 hours ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Have you seen this one?
PW-CT-12_MAIN.jpg

Face it to the back of the headstock and there's not much visible from the front. If your bass has a black headstock then it becomes invisible. Not a very big screen but if you have a decent vision won't be a problem.

EDIT: more pics:

like i described:

planet-waves-ns-mini-headstock-tuner-twi

or, completely invisible:
vfm7yzqbcb00lompioge.jpg

That's neat and hidden behind the headstock looks far better than an add on at the top of the head stock.

Dave

I don't use clip-ons. I like to have my tuner pedal in the pedalboard before the other pedals so i can mute my signal whenever needed. My bass is active so after setting up i unplug it but leave everything turned on - jack in the bass, quick tune if needed and i'm ready to play in seconds. All pedals are true bypass, good EBS patch cables, no tone sucking in my signal chain.

The clip on / pedal / rack tuner debate is alive and well then?!!

I used to have a rack tuner, but in some instances when using a house DI box before the amp it meant manually muting my

amp in order to tune. The children's clip on device means I can accurately tune my bass anywhere, with no cabling and no problem

muting anything (other than remembering to turn the bass down which I occasionally forget....)

Must admit to liking the stealth D'Addario one above though ^^^ :)

I too prefer to keep things as simple as possible at a gig. So much so that I now use combos so I don't even have the faff of separates with their associated cabling. Bass, lead, combo, done. I did use a preamp for a long time (outboard), but now I've got a Trace combo I eventually realised (like so many others before me) that time spent getting to know the Trace graphic EQ is very well spent. Turns out you can get pretty much any sound you can think of. No auxiliary preamp necessary.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

I bought a Zoom 506 Mk2 Bass multi-effects pedal years ago and pretty much only ever used it a tuner and mute switch. Most of the effects added noise anyway. Like most bassists, I always listen to the bass lines at gigs etc. and, to be honest, fancy effects mostly just annoy me. So I tend to use my bass (now with a clip-on tuner!) straight into a combo and try and vary tone and feel by the way I play. 

3 hours ago, discreet said:

I too prefer to keep things as simple as possible at a gig. So much so that I now use combos so I don't even have the faff of separates with their associated cabling. Bass, lead, combo, done. I did use a preamp for a long time (outboard), but now I've got a Trace combo I eventually realised (like so many others before me) that time spent getting to know the Trace graphic EQ is very well spent. Turns out you can get pretty much any sound you can think of. No auxiliary preamp necessary.

I used to use a TC combo: bass in one hand, combo in the other, bag of leads on my back. One trip from car to venue, nice.

I think there`s also the question to be posed, how many who just use bass/amp are those that use a different array of amps/cabs/combos as provided gear on a regular basis,  where they don`t know what gear will be provided until they actually get there? Do you still rely on this gear to get the sound you want?

11 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Now this I would disagree with. A tuner (not a child's toy aka clip-on tuner) is essential for gigging/playing. Being in tune is more important than having a good tone. Why would you play without a chromatic tuner? That's like removing a string from your bass.

I'd be lost without my Black Cat tuner.

Blue

36 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

...how many who just use bass/amp are those that use a different array of amps/cabs/combos as provided gear on a regular basis,  where they don`t know what gear will be provided until they actually get there? Do you still rely on this gear to get the sound you want?

That's a good point. I carry a small preamp/DI in my gigbag for emergencies and if I need to use supplied backline I'll stick that in front of it. At least then there's half a chance I'll produce a sound I'm more or less happy with.

Edited by discreet

2 hours ago, M@23 said:

Same.

Not used a pedal tuner since I got my Polytune clip 2 years ago. 

I use a clip at rehearsal. At gigs I'll only use the Black Cat chromatic in my pedal chain. I'm to vain  to use a clip at gigs. It spoils the integrity of the headstock design.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine