Why become a member? ×

PA system upgrade advice

foxyFuze

Hello all,

After a couple of successful gigs with my new band, our guitarist (rather knowledgeable with all matters technical) has pointed out that PA upgrade would be advisable at some point. We sounded decent, but the rig the main band after we played had a slightly clearer sound.

So, advice is welcome on a rig suitable for  4 piece band in which I would consider DIing my amp to, then using my Barefaced SM as a monitor for larger gigs. For reference, we have an old Yamaha EMX 630 with matching speakers. It's plenty powerful enough but more than 6 channels and a clearer sound would be great.
2nd hand would be fine, and I'm aware that (much) more than £500 would be a realistic figure.

Sort of related: I have a Barefaced BB2 which I'm thinking would always be better to keep as a second cab for volume and improved dispersion, as opposed to selling and relying solely on the PA.

Thanks

Edited by foxyFuze

I’m surprised nobody has been along to suggest RCF 735s or 745s yet, as they seem to get a lot of love.  Then again you’re looking at more than twice £500 for just one 745, with the 735s a bit less.  You might get some more info from this thread, though it’s getting pretty long and I think started out more about using PA speakers for personal monitoring:

From my own limited experience, we bought a pair of Yamaha DBR 12s last year, and use them with a Soundcraft UI12 wireless mixer.  We put vocals, keys and occasionally guitar through them and they sound great, but they’re not going to cut it for front of house bass. 

• Thanks 1

You could do worse than the 735s - up to bass duties without subs without any issues. Just to clarify, it's not RCF in general - just those two cabs in particular due to the drivers that are in them.

You could ditch your bass rig altogether if you went IEM too.

58 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Good to know, thanks all. IEM are most likely my next purchase - I see several folk have gone for these KZ ZS10 in-ears, but clearly the remaining kit still needs to be bought separately. 

I'm guessing you are up to speed with the monster IEM thread then!

Yamaha DXR12 or QSC k12.2 plus small passive mixer.

DXR are a big step up from DBR series. Yamaha have just introduced a new DZR series which look great on paper but are a chunk of change north of the DXRs but if specs are to be believed, should be amazing.

RCF have plenty of great products in their range.

In bargain basement, the ALTOS get a lot of positive mention alongside the cheaper EV.

Unfortunately, like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

good luck

• Thanks 1

Another unavoidable truth is that there are some bargains to be had. I can't stress enough how much the Alto stuff, especially the TS range, punch well above their weight. We got our two 1x15 tops and two 1x18 subs for £1000 all in second hand and they're brilliant.

That's the band system, complemented by my Behringer XR18 it's the easiest PA system ever. I even enjoyed the Alto stuff so much I bought myself a pair of TX10 (the cheaper range) just for me.

Whatever specific models you decide on, digital mixer and powered speakers are certainly the way to go.

• Thanks 1