Why become a member? ×

Numpty question about CDs

FinnDave

Hopefully this is the right place to get an answer to a basic question about music file formats. The band I recently joined has sent me some FLAC files from our recent gig, taken direct from the digital PA mixer the venue used. I can't play them on my Mac, so they also sent me MP3 versions. I would like to have a decent copy of the gig on CD so I can play it my car without the bother of bits of wire and phone getting in the way. I tried burning the FLAC files to CD, which worked but won't play, my car's CD player isn't that clever. The MP3s work on a CD in the car, but I would like to be able to listen to the best possible quality as I already have the files on my computer.

So I think my question is 'what is the best app to use to convert FLAC files to audio CD with minimal loss of quality, that will run on a Mac.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I know nothing about computers, but i you Google this question it seems to come up with a lot of answers.

Yeah, I did that and there's so many conflicting answers that I thought I'd ask here and see what is recommended by the collective mind of Basschat

Hi,

On Linux I use Sound converter to convert flac or mp3 files to .wav

If you burn a CD with .wav files it should be readable by your car CD player.

Here's a link to the sound converter site.

http://soundconverter.org/

Not knowing Macs I wouldn't like to advise on how to install.

I did find another package but not something I have used:

www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

As always be careful with stuff you download from the net.

Regards,

Doug

Garageband doesn't seem to do that, running short of time so I paid my five quid and triedCD burn pro - not many user options, which suits me as I don't know what I'm doing, but I was able to start with the FLACs and end up with playable CDs, they definitely sound better in the car than the MP3 version did. Mind you, took three CDs to get the whole gig on!

33 minutes ago, discreet said:

Looks like you've got it sorted, but just for the record you can convert most audio files to .wav online without buying software.

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

There are lots of other sites that do similar - YouTube to .mp3, for example.

My car stereo doesn't play WAV either, according to the destruction book (I found it lurking in the glove compartment, not bad for a 6 year old car I bought a year ago!).

Last time I ripped an MP3 from youtube, it worked, but left my computer feeling very poorly, so I won't be going there again!