Why become a member? ×

Jazz Basses with wider necks

kyuuga

Does anyone know why there are no Jazz bass models with wider necks? There's plenty of Precision style basses with slim, jazz-like necks (like the Fender Aerodyne, the Fender Deluxe P-Special, etc) but from what I have seen there have never been any Jazz style basses with wider necks - unless you swapped the necks yourself (like Tim Commeford did). Any reason for that?

I'd really like to get a Jazz Bass but since I much prefer wider necks (big hands...) I have no choice but to swap necks which, in my opinion, is a shame because it ruins the feel of an instrument - and it also makes it cost a lot more.

• Like 1

I feel your pain bro, a Precision neck on a Jazz is a very good option for both playability and tone (re the latter, don't listen to the folks who say the neck makes no difference)! You can do what I do, build a very nice bespoke bass from parts from here and eBay that will likely be as good if not better than most production models and probably a lot cheaper. I currently have a lovely FL Jazz with a unlined Warmoth Precision neck (44mm at the nut) with ebony board, a stunning mahogany (I think) body, Wizard 64's, CTS circuit with series/parallel, and ashtrays, all of which I pulled in from here and eBay for under £250 by searching around and being patient. The same quality bass new would be at least £1000. Only downside is that it weighs the same as several trucks :)

image.thumb.png.1cd40d216a8da1dc12e92847fe2094f7.png

• Like 1

You are not the first person to ask this question and you wont be the last. I have been asking the question myself over the past couple of years since I moved back to mainly playing a 4 string basses. Jaco used to put a precision neck on his jazz for practice, there is a picture of it somewhere on the tinterweb.

I think that most companies presume that a thin neck is faster/easier to play, which is why they offer the Precision sound with the 'easier to play' neck of a Jazz, and not the other way round. You can pick up the odd PJ Fender with a Precision nut width but they are hard to find and usually special editions. It is daft to me but maybe we are in the minority and it isn't worth big companies offering it as an option. Although I don't see how it makes any difference as the necks are mostly interchangeable anyway.

I looked into it and came to the conclusion I would need to put together a bitsa bass or spend a lot of money and buy a custom built bass. I presume Fender CS would do it if you threw enough money at them, and I would hope most other custom builders could do the same.

• Like 1

My Sandberg Umbo is relatively wide for a jazz - online stats say 39mm, but it isn't, more like 40 and a smidge. This is still no where near a precision, if that is what you are after, but thought it worth a mention... Maybe signature basses are worth looking at in general, as they are more likely to be non-standard issue?

@Beedster Beautiful bass! Not a fretless person myself but that looks very classic vintage and gives a perfect fretless vibe. I'm glad you could find all those components and build it for a cheap price, must have a huge sentimental value for you.

@NJE Sorry if it had been asked before. I actually googled a bit about the subject before and there were no threads that I could find. About the issue itself, it really baffles me why people think a jazz neck is easier to play. I mean, to each his own, but it's certainly subjective. For tall people with big hands like me a Jazz neck is too slim and small. I have a Squier VM 70s Jazz Bass (first bass I bought, was a newbie back then) and I could never really get into it because of the neck. I should just replace the neck but then it'd feel "wrong" for me, don't know why. 

I think Fender would benefit a lot from offering a Jazz Bass with a Precision Neck (since they already offer so many P-Basses with Jazz Necks). It'd be innovative and could actually bring some diversity into their products.

@ben4343 Unfortunately there's no signature basses or anything that offers a P-Neck with a Jazz Body (well there's the Mark Hoppus signature but that's a Precision Bass with a Jazz body countour only). Didn't know Sandberg had wider necks, thanks for letting me know!

2 minutes ago, kyuuga said:

@Beedster Beautiful bass! Not a fretless person myself but that looks very classic vintage and gives a perfect fretless vibe. I'm glad you could find all those components and build it for a cheap price, must have a huge sentimental value for you.

@NJE Sorry if it had been asked before. I actually googled a bit about the subject before and there were no threads that I could find. About the issue itself, it really baffles me why people think a jazz neck is easier to play. I mean, to each his own, but it's certainly subjective. For tall people with big hands like me a Jazz neck is too slim and small. I have a Squier VM 70s Jazz Bass (first bass I bought, was a newbie back then) and I could never really get into it because of the neck. I should just replace the neck but then it'd feel "wrong" for me, don't know why. 

I think Fender would benefit a lot from offering a Jazz Bass with a Precision Neck (since they already offer so many P-Basses with Jazz Necks). It'd be innovative and could actually bring some diversity into their products.

@ben4343 Unfortunately there's no signature basses or anything that offers a P-Neck with a Jazz Body (well there's the Mark Hoppus signature but that's a Precision Bass with a Jazz body countour only). Didn't know Sandberg had wider necks, thanks for letting me know!

No don't apologise, what I meant was your not alone in wondering this. I have had this conversation many times in the past and it is just incredibly annoying that there isn't an option on a Jazz when it would be relatively simple to do.

I have big hands and I struggle with jazz necks when playing down by the nut, my hand actually cramps quite badly, which is weird because it has never happened on massive necks like on my 5 string.

If it is your dream bass I strongly suggest a parts bass like Beedster says. A guitarist I know has two Warmoth parts Strats and the build quality is incredible. One has a roasted figured neck and its a dream, and the whole build with hardware came in under 1k. Get the bits and even send them off to a great guitar tech to be assembled and finished.

One day I will do it, but for now I might just have to settle for a P neck on my Harley Benton Jazz.

@NJE Exactly, same happens to me. If I play a bit higher (lets say around the 7th fret) then I have no issues since it's a bit wider there but if I have to lay down on the low notes for too long around the nut then my hand starts to cramp because I have very little space to rest my big fingers.

Does Warmoth have a warehouse in the EU? I don't want to pay customs for something coming from overseas. If they do I might look into it.

Warmoth are USA only but in all honesty, Allparts and mighty mite seem to make good necks too and they are in the UK. You might only get regular maple and rosewood necks but they will probably be cheaper. My pal said the customs isn't horrendous and it didn't take them long to get the parts.

2 minutes ago, NJE said:

Warmoth are USA only but in all honesty, Allparts and mighty mite seem to make good necks too and they are in the UK. You might only get regular maple and rosewood necks but they will probably be cheaper. My pal said the customs isn't horrendous and it didn't take them long to get the parts.

You can often pick up any of these on the forums/eBay in the UK. I certainly would not recommend going to Warmoth for a new neck, they are very expensive and my experience of their 'customer service' left a lot to be desired. Allparts necks are VERY good, as good as Warmoth but cheaper, Mighty Mite slightly less so to be honest (Allparts I'd put happily at Fender USA standard, Mighty Mite perhaps more Squier)

The Fender AVRI '74 has a thick neck. Now discontinued, they're still in stock in some places. Think there was a post from a BC'er who recently bought one.

On a cheaper level, there is a FSR available at the mo of natural finish 70's P's and J's, Not sure if the Jazz has a similar neck radius to the '74? I think they're about £800.

Maruszczyk offers a 40mm nut width as standard on their 4 string Elwood basses, but I realise that's still some way from a Fender C neck that you'd find on a Precision. I had a quick look at the AVRI '74 spec and it seems to offer a standard Jazz nut width of 1.475". It's a deeper "U" profile than some Jazz basses though, rather like Fender CS Jazzes. My other (almost certainly unhelpful) thought was to get a 5 string. 

3 minutes ago, LoneFurrow said:

Maruszczyk offers a 40mm nut width as standard on their 4 string Elwood basses, but I realise that's still some way from a Fender C neck that you'd find on a Precision. 

If you hare getting a Maruszczyk made, you can specify what you want on the neck, my neck is spec'd exactly with the dimensions of an ibanez neck.

There's a lot of people out there that would want to swap the other way, I'm sure you could find someone wanting to swap an almost identical neck for no cost on your part other than meeting up or getting a courier. Which Jazz bass tickles your fancy?

The US Standards of 2012 - 16 had a surprising handful of a neck for a Jazz. Still the same width but a definate chunk in the hand, much deeper than any other Jazz I`ve tried. I`m similar, I like a decent sized neck and these were the only Jazzes I`ve felt comforable on.

11 hours ago, Twigman said:

Rubbish - I've made 3 Warmoth basses - all in the UK

The question was whether they had an EU warehouse, but I admit my response could have been clearer and said mail order for UK

Edited by NJE