Why become a member? ×

Hamer B12A (Jeff Ament model)

NancyJohnson

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They are very hard to get and priced accordingly. A very low number made.

Apparently Jeff Ament has two, maybe he will part with one? :D

Conservative estimates put the number Hamer made as 'under ten'.  

So a bit rarer than the numbers left of my other Hamer, then.

29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Would it not be cheaper to get one built by another luthier, as the last one I can see on open sale went for just under 3k, sure a few good people could have a go for that money

Nope.  If there's no 'Hamer' on the headstock, then I'm not interested.  It's like someone buying a Bravewood or a Nash.

£3k isn't an issue.

in which case, if there is under 10, Jeff Ament has 2 of them (and presumably not parting with them), there are at most only 7 other people you need to ask if they want to sell. At least 2 of those are on TalkBass (or were when they closed hamer down)!

And one was for sale on here 3 years ago!

Edited by Woodinblack

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

Like a 12 string, so very chorusy due to 2 octave strings per bass string. Listen to Jeremy of Pearl Jam and you will get the idea.

I noticed at the SW bass bash the other day where I took the 8 string - Everyone - plays the opening of Jeremy on it!

33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

in which case, if there is under 10, Jeff Ament has 2 of them (and presumably not parting with them), there are at most only 7 other people you need to ask if they want to sell. At least 2 of those are on TalkBass (or were when they closed hamer down)!

And one was for sale on here 3 years ago!

I've started to put out some feelers...fingers crossed.

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

I've started to put out some feelers...fingers crossed.

It would be a great thing to get, and frankly 3k doesn't seem that much for something so rare. Guitarist friend of mine has a 3k new les paul, which is a something something reissue, which just seems a bit daft as they are so common.

Would still love a 12 string, but not one that expensive :D 

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It would be a great thing to get, and frankly 3k doesn't seem that much for something so rare. Guitarist friend of mine has a 3k new les paul, which is a something something reissue, which just seems a bit daft as they are so common.

Would still love a 12 string, but not one that expensive :D 

I own a Hamer FBIV...that's pretty rare.  

Just getting a Korean standard was hard enough.

Took me nearly 2 years to find one, butbits worth it!

I went so far as getting one practically spec’d by Tom Waghorn, a luthier in Bristol and yep it’s around 2k, provisional, but then I found my Hamer so it’s build averted

Edited by Cuzzie

9 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

There are more than 10 of them out there.

As to how they sound (12ers in general) - deep fundamental bass notes with clanging pairs of drone strings an octave up.

I owned a Waterstone TP12 and didn't really connect with it.

I found after much trial and error (some of this after the Waterstone was sold) that fundamentally, if you want to achieve that Tom Petersson tone it's not simply the case of plugging in and away we go; my experience led to the conclusion that while the bass was both rich and bountiful tonally, pretty much anything played up the dusty end frankly sounded ridiculous.  

So how to achieve a good tone?  A crossover, some outboard processing and two amps.  Utilising the crossover, shoot the lows through one side, the highs through the other.  Apply dirt (or go with whatever your amp will provide.  TP has used a brace of amplification over the years, favouring HiWatt and Reeves valve heads, before more recently using Orange gear.  Note these are not bass amps...he favours guitar ampliifers.  Cabinetry, I'm not sure about, I'd like to think he'd favour bass-centric cabinets, but hey, when you're (probably) being given them for free, then you'll try anything.

15 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope.  If there's no 'Hamer' on the headstock, then I'm not interested.  It's like someone buying a Bravewood or a Nash.

£3k isn't an issue.

I was giving this some thought last night.  My wife just chipped in said, 'Why does it have to have Hamer on the headstock?  As you love Mike Lull stuff so much, wouldn't Mike Lull build you one?

This actually set me juices flowing somewhat.  Mike Lull is Jeff Ament's primary builder and Mike Lull has built two basses for me already, so umm, it's worth a punt.  Dollar is weakening against Sterling.  Might be a good time to enquire...

• Like 2