Jump to content
Why become a member? Read more... ×
Check out Guitarchat.co.uk Read more... ×
NancyJohnson

Hamer B12A (Jeff Ament model)

Recommended Posts

Does anyone on here own one of these?  Just sourcing some information ahead of trying to source one.

Ta!

DXyvu-PXcAES46H.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cato said:

Is he tiny or is that bass massive?

He's [edit] 5'11" and the bass is huge. 

 

Edited by NancyJohnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a 12 string, so very chorusy due to 2 octave strings per bass string. Listen to Jeremy of Pearl Jam and you will get the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They are very hard to get and priced accordingly. A very low number made.

Apparently Jeff Ament has two, maybe he will part with one? :D

Edited by Woodinblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it not be cheaper to get one built by another luthier, as the last one I can see on open sale went for just under 3k, sure a few good people could have a go for that money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They are very hard to get and priced accordingly. A very low number made.

Apparently Jeff Ament has two, maybe he will part with one? :D

Conservative estimates put the number Hamer made as 'under ten'.  

So a bit rarer than the numbers left of my other Hamer, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Would it not be cheaper to get one built by another luthier, as the last one I can see on open sale went for just under 3k, sure a few good people could have a go for that money

Nope.  If there's no 'Hamer' on the headstock, then I'm not interested.  It's like someone buying a Bravewood or a Nash.

£3k isn't an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

in which case, if there is under 10, Jeff Ament has 2 of them (and presumably not parting with them), there are at most only 7 other people you need to ask if they want to sell. At least 2 of those are on TalkBass (or were when they closed hamer down)!

 

And one was for sale on here 3 years ago!

Edited by Woodinblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The quest begins........ good luck to you brave sir! I salute you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

Like a 12 string, so very chorusy due to 2 octave strings per bass string. Listen to Jeremy of Pearl Jam and you will get the idea.

I noticed at the SW bass bash the other day where I took the 8 string - Everyone - plays the opening of Jeremy on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

in which case, if there is under 10, Jeff Ament has 2 of them (and presumably not parting with them), there are at most only 7 other people you need to ask if they want to sell. At least 2 of those are on TalkBass (or were when they closed hamer down)!

And one was for sale on here 3 years ago!

I've started to put out some feelers...fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NancyJohnson said:

I've started to put out some feelers...fingers crossed.

It would be a great thing to get, and frankly 3k doesn't seem that much for something so rare. Guitarist friend of mine has a 3k new les paul, which is a something something reissue, which just seems a bit daft as they are so common.

Would still love a 12 string, but not one that expensive :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It would be a great thing to get, and frankly 3k doesn't seem that much for something so rare. Guitarist friend of mine has a 3k new les paul, which is a something something reissue, which just seems a bit daft as they are so common.

Would still love a 12 string, but not one that expensive :D 

I own a Hamer FBIV...that's pretty rare.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just getting a Korean standard was hard enough.

Took me nearly 2 years to find one, butbits worth it!

I went so far as getting one practically spec’d by Tom Waghorn, a luthier in Bristol and yep it’s around 2k, provisional, but then I found my Hamer so it’s build averted

Edited by Cuzzie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are more than 10 of them out there.

As to how they sound (12ers in general) - deep fundamental bass notes with clanging pairs of drone strings an octave up.
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

There are more than 10 of them out there.

As to how they sound (12ers in general) - deep fundamental bass notes with clanging pairs of drone strings an octave up.

 

I owned a Waterstone TP12 and didn't really connect with it.

I found after much trial and error (some of this after the Waterstone was sold) that fundamentally, if you want to achieve that Tom Petersson tone it's not simply the case of plugging in and away we go; my experience led to the conclusion that while the bass was both rich and bountiful tonally, pretty much anything played up the dusty end frankly sounded ridiculous.  

So how to achieve a good tone?  A crossover, some outboard processing and two amps.  Utilising the crossover, shoot the lows through one side, the highs through the other.  Apply dirt (or go with whatever your amp will provide.  TP has used a brace of amplification over the years, favouring HiWatt and Reeves valve heads, before more recently using Orange gear.  Note these are not bass amps...he favours guitar ampliifers.  Cabinetry, I'm not sure about, I'd like to think he'd favour bass-centric cabinets, but hey, when you're (probably) being given them for free, then you'll try anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope.  If there's no 'Hamer' on the headstock, then I'm not interested.  It's like someone buying a Bravewood or a Nash.

£3k isn't an issue.

I was giving this some thought last night.  My wife just chipped in said, 'Why does it have to have Hamer on the headstock?  As you love Mike Lull stuff so much, wouldn't Mike Lull build you one?

This actually set me juices flowing somewhat.  Mike Lull is Jeff Ament's primary builder and Mike Lull has built two basses for me already, so umm, it's worth a punt.  Dollar is weakening against Sterling.  Might be a good time to enquire...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Ooh, now it's getting interesting! 

 

Absolutely! A Mike Lull 12 string?!

Eude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×