Why become a member? ×

Is There A "Correct" Way To Play

LeftyP

I`d say the correct way to play is the way that is easiest for the individual to obtain the sound/lines/feeling they require. I`m sure my very ham-fisted technique is very wrong in the theory book, but it gets what I need for my band, so to me it`s the correct way for mine and my bands needs.

I took lessons when i started 40+ yrs ago and was told to use the 1234 finger technique. I always struggled at lower end of the fretboard and over the years i found i now use both techniques 124 at lower end of board ie 1-4th frets and as i move up the board from the 5th i use 1234 technique. I don't recall ever making a conscious decision to do that more it just seemed right and i also have varying thumb technique on back of the neck. Sometimes i will keep my thumb rooted on back of the neck and other times i've seen me wrap my thumb round the edge of the neck. I think it usually depends on style of music i'm playing. Rock or metal playing straight 8's on same note i sometimes wrap round edge of the neck.(my lazy technique :D) If its something quite complicated or fast moving i tend to have my thumb anchored on the back of the neck.

Over last few years i've tried to keep my wrist straight as much as possible on my fretting hand as i tended to have it quite angled at times causing some aches and pains.

I tend to play fingerstyle using mainly 1st & 2nd fingers and occasionally adding my thumb,  3rd or 4th depending on what i'm doing.

All in all i'd say do what's comfortable but try and keep to Good technique as much as possible if you can. 

Dave 

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Yes, I sometimes shout out "1 2 3 4" really loudly, too. :|

my old band had a foolproof ending for any song where we had missed the usual ending.

We'd just keep going til the singer sang "one two three four, when I say no more, STOP"

I still play with him and we often use it just for old times sake hehe, awright,when we miss the proper ending.

Edited by bazzbass

23 hours ago, discreet said:

Really? Then you'd think there'd be fewer crappy bass players about. O.o Personally I find guitar easier but thats just me, I suppose.

Would have thought playing single note roots on a bass with a pick is one of the easiest things to do on any instrument ....after 40 yrs I still find barr chords difficult. 

15 minutes ago, oldbass said:

Would have thought playing single note roots on a bass with a pick is one of the easiest things to do on any instrument ....after 40 yrs I still find barr chords difficult. 

It's not just that though, is it? You have to play those notes in the right place and with feeling... and before any of that, you have to get up, put your shoes on and be on time... AND not play too loud, get on well with the rest of the band and not laugh at the singer's trousers. 

Edited by discreet

On 16/04/2018 at 21:19, Happy Jack said:

Which is why Lennon and McCartney chose - consciously - not to study music during the 60s.

And then worked with George Martin who DID study music. The 'music theory stunts your creativity ' argument is a justification. Any knowledge empowers you. A lack of knowledge will not improve creativity,  it will be irrelevant to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

And then worked with George Martin who DID study music. The 'music theory stunts your creativity ' argument is a justification. Any knowledge empowers you. A lack of knowledge will not improve creativity,  it will be irrelevant to it.

Agree entirely. In my experience it is only the people who don't know or care to learn any theory who use the .."it stunts your creativity" concept. I have never come across anyone who abandoned theory because of the same argument.. ANY knowledge is never a waste of time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coilte said:

In my experience it is only the people who don't know or care to learn any theory who use the .."it stunts your creativity" concept.

Ha. And it's those who like to learn theory who think it's an advantage. :) And I'm sure it probably is. Personally I think that whatever floats your boat is good and valid, if you're happy. I learnt a lot of music theory when I played trumpet, piano and classical guitar, but when I started playing bass I didn't feel the need as it was almost a  political act - and it still is.

However, I'm sure nothing I learnt about music got in the way of my rebellion - and it still doesn't. :)

Edited by discreet

46 minutes ago, Coilte said:

Agree entirely. In my experience it is only the people who don't know or care to learn any theory who use the .."it stunts your creativity" concept. I have never come across anyone who abandoned theory because of the same argument.. ANY knowledge is never a waste of time. 

I used the “...it stunts your creativity” (or rather I would say it worried me that it might) excuse for years, thirty seven years in fact. Last night I had my third lesson and I can feel it helping already in both theory and technique. I was going to argue that maybe someone young and just starting out might be funnelled into a ‘classical’ channel and not think outside of that channel afterwards but I cannot, absolutely cannot, disagree with...

31 minutes ago, discreet said:

However, I'm sure nothing I learnt about music got in the way of my rebellion - and it still doesn't. :)

43 minutes ago, Coilte said:

I have never come across anyone who abandoned theory because of the same argument.. ANY knowledge is never a waste of time. 

Edited by Frank Blank

I took lessons for 12-18mths when i first started and altho i'm not a sight reader by any means i have found it useful when learning songs. I use it more as a tool for learning rather than a requirement and i've played most styles of music over the years.

Yes i could get by without it but it helps me, makes life easier for me anyway. 

With regards hand technique i started off correctly but have taken shortcuts that i found made playing some songs easier for me. Yep i'm lazy.

I now have regrets that i didn't take it further tho as i am now catching up with chord patterns altho that's mainly for my own personal satisfaction.

Anything you can learn is another way to improve in my book.

Dave 

• Thanks 1