Why become a member? ×

Classic Bass Comparison

ezbass

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found it interesting. Yes, I'm sure that there are other basses that could've (should've?) been included, but it does what it says on the tin. For my part, I thought the P was the best all rounder, YMMV.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

It's interesting how, fundamentally, they all do the same thing. To me anyway, they are not radically different, with the possible exception of the Rick which sounded weaker in all the styles demonstrated, as a Precision bass played with a pick lover, for me the P sounded better in all the styles except the slapped bit where I favoured the Jazz bass sound, overall, unsurprisingly, I would take the P bass all day long, as a back up I would take the Stingray, then the Jazz, after that, I would ask the support band if I could borrow their P bass!

Yep, that Ric didn’t sound good there next to the others, perhaps a poor example, who knows? What surprised me was how well the Tbird did there, tone-wise, it was right up there for me. However, having recently played one, I know they’re not for me ergonomically, which is shame as I think they look incredibly sexy, the same for the Firebird, but I don’t find that nice to play either.

Indeed - but you have to turn the knobs a little to get signature sounds (and I suspect the P was on full tone). An interesting comparison. I preferred the Stingray here (not much surprise there!!). In a mix each of these would sound very different. However there were a number of things either notable or missing for me:-

1) Jazz ludicrously scooped (pick ups on full?)

2) Ric even more ludicrously scooped. No McCartney or Squire sound here!! 

3) Thunderbird - far more defined version of the Ric (in this test).

4) Where was the Stingray sizzle and bottom end fatness?

5) Where was the Warwick signature woody sound.

6) The P was ash bodied and maple board probably with rounds - as trebly as it gets.

So as comparisons go this probably favoured the P over the others because it got the signature sound. You have to turn the knobs on the others for the signature sound! 

Edited by drTStingray
Relentless auto correct

Based on limited knowledge of settings and solely on what i'm hearing in the clip i thought the P bass sounded better.

The T bird surprised me a fair bit. It maintained the same tone throughout and yet it worked on all styles played. 

Jazz sounded a bit thin to me. Not the sound i hear from mine.

The Warwick also sounded a little weak. Again not what i hear from mine. Guessing all controls at mid point on Thumb.

Rik sounded old school 70's in every style. Not what i was expecting at all.

The Stingray bass had no guts to it and not what i recognise as a typical Stingray sound especially noticeable during the slap section. It should have won that section hands down.

I have a Jazz (my goto bass), Precision (PJ), Thumb, Thunderbird and have owned a Ric. The only bass i haven't owned is the Stingray and that's not how they sounded when i played them.

All that said i really enjoyed the clip tho. Quite a varied sound across the basses. Pity he didn't post the EQ settings on each bass.

Dave

Its just a bit o fun and hopefully people shouldn't take too seriously.

Certainly if it was me thinking of buying a new bass i would be listening to many many reviews and VID clips before trying out for myself.

Based on the above clip i wouldn't even look at the Stingray yet i know they sound great on other clips and live.

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Indeed - but you have to turn the knobs a little to get signature sounds (and I suspect the P was on full tone)...

...indeed, indeed, and that's assuming we can agree on what those signature sounds are! I know some people like a Jazz best when both pickups are matched, or with the balance skewed towards the bridge; personally I think they sound best with the neck on full and the bridge backed off a little. Ditto the 'bird. Even with the simplicity of a P, it's probably only a matter of time before the rounds/flats debate rears its head...!

Yes Precision for me too

Felt the Jazz and Ray had set up issue lots of fret noise more noticeable on all styles

I Liked the T Bird  handled all styles very well

I always liked the Rick until got to played one and have hated them with a passion ever since, but though I should say slapped it had an edge i quite liked.

Agree with DrT the Ray can handle more bass into that pickup position and did not show the heft / weight you can get out of these without the bloom

Interesting.  shame nobody give a shite what ya bass sounds like in the real world :dash1:

• Haha 1