Why become a member? ×

Keeping a bass original?

alembic1989

I am currently doing a 'sympathetic renovation ' of a bass, and found myself wondering about 'keeping it original '....it's a vintage bass, some parts are impossible to source, so I've been keeping all the original parts and tidying them up as best I can. Looking at the strap buttons, they're brass, but really corroded. Should I keep them on the bass as they're ' original '...or just buy some nice new ones?

I know that if I ever try to re-sell it it won't be 100% original so would be worth less just for that tiny thing?

What is right thing to do here?

Depends what it is?

Brass strap buttons?

Just replace like for like with new versions, and leave the originals in the case, then give the new owner the choice if you decide to sell. Shouldn't affect the value if the holes aren't altered. 

Even on a vintage Fender, which I'm assuming this isn't, if a part is no longer functional, then you need to replace it. If your concerned about original appearances, try and be as sympathetic as possible with the replacement bits. Simple as that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’m with Geek99 on this one. If they are really brass, the corrosion with clean off easily.  Does the bass have other brass parts? I remember Arias having some really smart brass fittings.

Hi Graham, I THOUGHT the components were solid brass, it was only when I was trying to remove the pitting that I saw traces of copper coming through, I was very surprised. The bass in question is Greco GOB 1200 and is built really well, some lovely quality touches, a high class instrument.

You live and learn.

19 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I would not replace anything on that unless the component was completely unusable.

I agree. So far the only unusable parts have been the bridge posts, I've managed to source some new brass ones.

The nut it came with was non original..a strange affair made from plastic and a brass strip..they were originally solid brass..so I'm fitting another new brass nut...the rest of the brassware is getting a " comb over" as it is very pitted and crap looking.

Edited by alembic1989
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alembic1989 said:

I agree. So far the only unusable parts have been the bridge posts, I've managed to source some new brass ones.

The nut it came with was non original..a strange affair made from plastic and a brass strip..they were originally solid brass..so I'm fitting another new brass nut...the rest of the brassware is getting a " comb over" as it is very pitted and crap looking.

I approve. :)

As you probably know, it's a very rare, high-end bass that was only made for a few years, and was technically Japan-only. I don't think Grecos were officially exported anywhere, so the number of these in the UK is likely in single figures.

In other words, you're a proper lucky sod! :D

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I approve. :)

As you probably know, it's a very rare, high-end bass that was only made for a few years, and was technically Japan-only. I don't think Grecos were officially exported anywhere, so the number of these in the UK is likely in single figures.

In other words, you're a proper lucky sod! :D

Haha..yes I guess I am a proper lucky sod...but to be fair..I've been looking and gassing for one for ages.

Even luckier was that the seller was less than 20 miles away from me!....Result.

Im really looking forward to completing the work, and shall of course post some pics when it's completed.

solid brass can easily be bought back to new using either a metal polish or wire wool and elbow grease. failing that shot blasting can yield fantastic results and a very funky finish as it did on the bridge, knobs and nut of my Streamer I restored:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/10464133-warwick-streamer-stage-1-1988-hand-built-in-germany-inc-brand-new-abs-hardcase

If you are interested in the shot-blasting option Im happy to help

7 hours ago, dyerseve said:

solid brass can easily be bought back to new using either a metal polish or wire wool and elbow grease. failing that shot blasting can yield fantastic results and a very funky finish as it did on the bridge, knobs and nut of my Streamer I restored:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/10464133-warwick-streamer-stage-1-1988-hand-built-in-germany-inc-brand-new-abs-hardcase

If you are interested in the shot-blasting option Im happy to help

Thanks for the info, and the offer of help...however the trouble is...the parts don't appear to be solid brass..so shot blasting will bring it back to the base metal