Why become a member? ×

An evolution of lightweights

Andyjr1515

Hi

Having borrowed Pete's piccolo bass for the SW Bass Bash and having not yet delivered the 6-string electric I've just finished for my sister-in-law, I had a once-off opportunity to photo the three related lightweight builds together.

Here they are:

z1skl4Bh.jpg

Left to right:

The piccolo bass designed and built for our band's bassist Pete.  Tuned to guitar pitch but sounds much more like a bass.  Multi scale from 25" to 26"   Total playing weight  5 1/2lb

The 6-string electric built for me.  The piccolo was so comfortable to play and sounded so good, I thought I'd try a 6-string version for my own use.  25" scale   Total playing weight just under 6lb

The 6 string electric just finished for my sister in law. Slightly slimmer (they are all around 1" thick) and designed for full fret access and thumb anchor up to the 24th fret for playing lead.  25" scale   Total playing weight 5 1/4lb

They are all through neck and feature a convex top and concave back:

jNrUMZph.jpg

Those who tried the piccolo at the bash will know that, although it is at guitar pitch, it doesn't sound at all like the bottom 4 strings of a 6-string...it very much has it's very own bassy sound.

For the electric 6 strings, I was curious whether 'lightweight and thin' would affect tone at all so I lent the middle one to a number of regular giggers I know.  The general consensus is that it cuts through just as well as any of the strats and Les Pauls they would usually be using.  Not at all scientific, of course, but there is no apparent loss of clarity or gravitas.  The new one on the right hand side of the pic sounds brighter acoustically, but exactly the same through an amp.

They are, of course, much lighter on the neck strap than most electrics and when the guinea-pigs later strapped their normal guitars back on, they all reported thinking various combinations of 'WHAT THE ****??'   And they were trying out the heavier one of the three ;)

It's been a great experiment that may well continue to evolve :)

Andy

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

All three look stunning mate!!!!:D

I thought my Jazz bass was light at just under 7 1/4lb it must feel like you playing air being that light.......

Thanks, @Jimothey. :)

It's certainly a bit of a shocker when I strap one of my other guitars on...espcially the 10 1/2lb Indie Les Paul!

15 hours ago, W1_Pro said:

Lovely work Andy. Are they all rub on finishes?

I really like that six string you built for yourself. Nicely put together..;0)

Thanks, Stuart :)

Yes - all basically wipe on: 

The piccolo bass is tru-oil slurry-and-buffed;

the middle 6-string is Osmo Polyx wiped on and brushed on - this one is my first try at their 'glossy' version.  Not so sure about that particular product (hence trying wipe and brush) although their satins and matts are excellent;

the right hand 6-string is Ronseal Hardglazed wiped on .

16 hours ago, ped said:

Lovely work. Very impressive looking instruments. You’ve developed a really special signature shape. 

Thanks, ped :) 

My next build (and maybe next two) will be back to the more conventional (but they will be basses!) but I will come back to these principles.  The latest one, on the right in the picture actually, to my eyes, does look like a scaled down bass - which is interesting because it came about from purely practical requirements  - so it would be nice to try a lightweight bass in the same style...