Why become a member? ×

NAD flyrig, power amp and sc

la bam

Got myself a flyrig from here in fantastic condition.

Initially was going to plug into my amps return, unfortunately my amp has the return after the amp modelling, so it colours the sound.

So ive bought a crown xls1502 power amp. Only weighs 4kg and puts out over 1000w rms at 8ohm in bridge mode.

The flyrig when used this way puts out some awesome sounds. Really rich and the drive is very realistic.

Through the barefaced super compact it sounds really smooth and punchy.

On initial play in house this should easily be loud enough.

Im taking this to tonights gig so will soon find out.

If it works well i'll sort a shorter rackcase as the amp will fit in a short rack.

20180414_111600.thumb.jpg.ba578f01eb6019abf0f322a0d7231673.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, so i gigged with this set up last night.

What a revelation!

The tone direct through the sansamp was amazing. Kind of the next level of clear and clean. Very hard to describe but it really sat very well with the rest of the band, so much so, the onstage mix was brilliant. Didnt struggle to hear anything at all. Once we found the right tone i added in some valve drive that really bonded the whole mix together.

The band loved it and it really felt tight playing all night.

There was around 100 people there and we just put a tad of bass through the pa.

Only one thing left to do - despite being loud the sansamp needs boosting into the power amp, so im going to get either a preamp or mini mixer to boost the signal - then hopefully it will be a phenomenal system. Once that is sorted i can play with the amp to filter certain frequencies and make it even more efficient.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, la bam said:

Only one thing left to do - despite being loud the sansamp needs boosting into the power amp, so im going to get either a preamp or mini mixer to boost the signal - then hopefully it will be a phenomenal system. Once that is sorted i can play with the amp to filter certain frequencies and make it even more efficient.

I've had great results with both the Behringer Mic100 (although it needs 12V AC) and the Lehle Sunday Driver XLR.

On 14/04/2018 at 11:45, la bam said:

Initially was going to plug into my amps return, unfortunately my amp has the return after the amp modelling, so it colours the sound.

Effects return after the modelling is what you want surely?

Sorry, i probably didnt explain that right. The amp (markbass evo 1) is slightly different where it has 12 amp models built in, and 3 different types of gain/volume that cant be bypassed. Ie even plugging into the return the amp models are still active and colour the sound.

Ive just bought a behrinher mic100 preamp.

Great that these have a 12ax7 valve in them.

However, the inputs on the amp still dont register (apart from signal) but i now think that may just be the quality of the amp keeping everything at a protected level.

Is the trick with the preamp to level your sound out so its showing 0db on the led meters before going into the power amp?

Edited by la bam

42 minutes ago, Jack said:

Nah. For signal/noise reasons I'd hit the amp with as much juice from the behringer as it'll take.

No sense making up the gain later on when you've got so much on tap to start with.

wont you just be running it in the red all the time then? 

the mc100 hits 0db when both are at 9 oclock.

12 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

If the MarkBass Evo is like my CMD102p then the fx loop is parallel, not series, so the preamp controls still affect the output signal. I changed the jumpers to series, but the front panel controls still affect the output. 

Dunno if this helps.

yes, thats what i found. thats why ive gone for a power amp now instead.

16 minutes ago, la bam said:

wont you just be running it in the red all the time then? 

the mc100 hits 0db when both are at 9 oclock.

No sorry I meant "as much as it'll take without clipping" .

3 hours ago, la bam said:

Ahaaa....

If im using the amp in bridged mode do i need a modified speakon lead?

Yes, you are right.  The manual says the speaker should be connected to 1+ and 2+.

You could get one from http://bassic-bits.co.uk/ - it's the one described "Speakon(4p)- Speakon(2p) using 1+/2+ for bridged amps".

If it was me, I'd get a FRFR powered speaker as then the amp is matched by design with the speaker and you don't have to worry about how they interact.  Although I think you posted in that topic - but I've lost track, so sorry if that option was already covered elsewhere.

manual2.png

Ive had it at both - 1.4v and 0.7v - neither made any difference.

The preamp even had a +60db gain plus a +10db output and it didnt even register. (apart from the signal switch).

Dont get me wrong, it seemed loud in the house and the quality was great, but ive done 2 smallish gigs with it and ive been maxing the volume and ot was just about ok. Which obviously isnt good enough.