Why become a member? ×

Chibson Les Paul bass

itsmedunc

Just got one of the above second hand. Bought it out of curiosity as I once had a Chibson 335 that was a beast of a guitar. I quite like this LP. Plays and feels well but could do with a tweak here and there. Sounds good but will take some getting used to as it just sounds and feels so different to the Fenders I'm used to. The E string sounds mellower than the others but may be the strings (the E looks a bit different than the rest). I'll change them and see what happens. The string spacing is great for me and and as a result it's really easy to play. The only real problem is that it's gold! I don't do gold O.o The guitarist has a Gold Top too! The thought of two gold guitars on the same stage makes me cringe!

I'm sure that if it was put next to a real Gibby there would be a vast difference but on it's own merit, it's a decent bass. It could be a keeper but the gold would have to go!

Anybody else found a decent Chibson?

Low light pics. Will get some more detailed ones up in better light.

20180413_213236.jpg

20180413_213419.jpg

20180413_213446 (1).jpg

20180413_213510.jpg

20180413_213525.jpg

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

That’s a very convincing replica, the originals have a reputation for neck dive, how is it on this one? I quite like the gold but understand that you wouldn’t want to look the same as your guitarist - the days of matching guitars is long gone.....

Neck dive wise it's ok. There's a bit but nothing bad. Matching guitars, may as well get a gold kit and spandex!

45 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Did you order it direct from China, did you have to pay import duty? I quite fancy one of the 335 basses which seem to be on offer at a little over $300.

I bought it secondhand privately. You are welcome to try it but usually logistics make things impossible. I'm taking it to rehearsals on Saturday so will have a better idea about it.