Why become a member? ×

Bending strings???

TheGreek

Bending strings  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Bending strings??

• Yea??
    • Nay??

Yep, I think it sounds great... adds a nice accent to the note. Used sparingly, it can be really nice. I think you'd have to do it loads to cause any undue wear on the frets. Weirdly, it sounds much more pronounced on some basses than others.

I'd like to be able to develop my technique to do those quick bends during faster parts, a mixture between bending and kind of shaking your fretting hand. Easier and sounds great on fretless.

I try.

Sometimes it's just a reflex carried over from playing guitar. I've even found myself doing bends on fretless, where it's truly a pointless exercise.

I can manage a semitone bend on the bass without thinking about it.

I can do the full tone or more if I concentrate and significantly increase my left hand grip on the neck, but then it tends to bugger up the next section because generally I play with a light touch and the change in fretting pressure upsets the flow.

I'm always quite impressed when I see a bass player casusally push the G almost all the way across the fretboard, even with maximum effort I can't get the string much further than halfway across the board without it pinging back from under my fingers.

Edited by Cato

Another member of the Esteemed Syndicate of Bass-String-Benders (North East Essex Chapter) here.

BTW - Check out the sleeve of the Long Playing Record version of Humble Pie's excellent 1971 double live album - "PERFORMANCE - Rockin' The Fillmore" and you'll find a picture of Greg Ridley (ex Spooky Tooth, another great band) string-bending on a P-Bass.

Ain't nothin' new under the sun.

Chris

52 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

Another member of the Esteemed Syndicate of Bass-String-Benders (North East Essex Chapter) here.

BTW - Check out the sleeve of the Long Playing Record version of Humble Pie's excellent 1971 double live album - "PERFORMANCE - Rockin' The Fillmore" and you'll find a picture of Greg Ridley (ex Spooky Tooth, another great band) string-bending on a P-Bass.

Ain't nothin' new under the sun.

Chris

You win geeky, anorak fact of the week :D

Performance is one of my favourite albums .