Why become a member? ×

NAD - and bit of a clean up diary - Trace AH600SMX

ianrendall

Got this off a friend for the bargain price of £150 yesterday!

I have yet to play through it as I want to check it over first as it’s been left in his van for a while. But it powers up and no funny noises. A couple of LEDs need resitting and the fan is filthy and will need some electro lube, but where’s the fun in buying an old amp that doesn’t need a little TLC and fettling?

87C6AE3E-7418-4BE8-A511-B6F47B60A1C7.jpeg

FE24A17F-739F-4960-BAE4-7E1D0167C51A.jpeg

B249E1FA-5B2B-41FE-88F8-CA3B4F97AF60.jpeg

21780A93-8E28-4259-B66A-66D16B27CDAC.jpeg

C096089E-64BA-4172-A393-D433676289A4.jpeg

Edited by ianrendall
  • Like 1

I love working on stuff like this. It’s basically the same as the 4 stroke engine on my bike. 

Now, the UV bulb is in full working order, but quite grubby. What’s the best thing to clean it with? White vinegar? Glass cleaner? Meths? Angle grinder?

Having a break and gone to the pub for lunch. 

So far I have:

Cleaned the fan and grill. Lubricated the spindle. 

Cleaned the heatsinks, PCBs, pots, sliders and general casing with a soft brush and vacuum cleaner. 

Cleaned the filthy UV, back panel, front panel, knobs and metalwork with a mild degreaser. 

Removed every single chrome jack surround and polished them. 

Removed the AH600SMX Perspex legend as the glue was brittle and cracking. Removed the glue, keyed surfaces with fine wire wool (just the non visible portions of the Perspex) and reglued. 

All of the screws that were removed I gave the once over with wire wool to remove surface corrosion. 

Dropped some electrolube in the sliders and pots.

Vacuumed the carpet covering and inside of the case. Will need to shave the bobbles. 

Ordered a speakon to jack lead.

Had a pint. 

As a recent TE convert, I have to say that is SUH-WEET. I really want to get hold of more TE gear, but logically I don't need it. And I don't want to be one of those people who are completely surrounded by Trace gear in every room... you know who you are! :)

Still... it would be sensible to have a backup, wouldn't it?? :biggrin:

46 minutes ago, discreet said:

As a recent TE convert, I have to say that is SUH-WEET. I really want to get hold of more TE gear, but logically I don't need it. And I don't want to be one of those people who are completely surrounded by Trace gear in every room... you know who you are! :)

Still... it would be sensible to have a backup, wouldn't it?? :biggrin:

Well, as old Trace gear is only going to become more scarce, then perhaps you can justify having more by calling yourself a Trace Elliot archivist?

11 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Well, as old Trace gear is only going to become more scarce, then perhaps you can justify having more by calling yourself a Trace Elliot archivist?

Thats it! I could be a 'collector'. Or even an 'investor'. Or both. :crazy:

17 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Before and after. Fully disassembled, cleaned, polished, chipped paint touched up and reassembled. 

No idea if it works yet until my new speaker lead arrives 😂

0BB9EFB5-C078-4E55-A4D1-DC6A42A8BA88.jpeg

Cracking job on a beast of an amp.  Any efforts to keep these great amps alive and kicking should be highly commended 👍

• Like 1