Why become a member? ×

Series/parallel jazz bass mod

Graham

I'd like to mod my Lakland DJ5 so that the neck pickup volume becomes a push/pull to switch between parallel and series wiring.

I can probably get one of the electronics engineers at work to do the wiring for me, but need to get all the bits sorted out.

There are wiring diagrams online, but wondered if anyone had one they'd succesfully used?

Also, does anyone know what value push-pull pot I should buy to replace the neck pickup volume?

Thanks

I've checked the specs, your bass is supposed to be passive with single coil pickups, so the only series possibility is to put both pickups in series, which is absolutely useless.

If you still want to do it, then the push-pull should be a logarithmic 250 KOhms.

• Like 1

I've done this on my Squier Jazz, there's plenty of wiring diagrams on the net, I got a push pull volume control off ebay, just about went in the cavity, I've found it very useful, gives my Jazz more of a P sound although only one volume control works for both pickups, which I'm assuming is what Hellzero is talking about

If you use the schematic I linked, you still can have both pickups controlled by their own volumes in parallel or series, which would be more useful than the standard series switching transforming your 2 pickups in a single humbucker with coils way too far from each other, thus creating lots of out of phase signal.

That said, if you don't try it, you will never know the sound it can produce and maybe never know that you like it.

A push-pull or push-push isn't that big money to not give it a try. B|

Edited by Hellzero
With the verb in the sentence, it's better, no ?

The 'regular' series wiring for a Jazz (with the two pickups configured as a very wide aperture series humbucker and single volume control) gives a thick and chunky sound which is very usable but a bit one dimensional. It's quite a bit louder and somewhat darker in tone with less sparkly highs than a standard Jazz sound. The phase cancellation in series mode is actually much less apparent than with both pickups on full using standard Jazz wiring (which is effectively a wide aperture parallel humbucker). I have a medium scale Jazz with a series switch. It's a useful alternative tone to have on tap but in practice I don't use it that often. A Jazz just sounds better when it sounds like a Jazz to my ears!

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1