Why become a member? ×

Gene Simmons: “Studio bassists who play with their fingers live have no idea that we can’t hear what they’re playing”

SeeBread

Another little gem from Gene in a recent interview. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gene-simmons-studio-bassists-who-play-with-their-fingers-live-have-no-idea-that-we-cant-hear-what-theyre-playing

I'm still split on him. He seems like a nice enough guy, but how can anyone have so much experience and still be so clueless. Maybe he's just on the greatest windup mission ever conceived. In which case, bravo Gene. 

I've been a Kiss fan for over 30 years and Gene does this to get a rise. I saw the article and wondered how long it would be before someone shared it. Thankfully with good humour too! There are plenty out there that are quick to bash Gene, but then he does set himself up for this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

just taking the pis out of all these 'it's all in the fingers' theorists, good for him, I presume he plays with a pick? xD

It IS all in the fingers. Except when I'm playing with a pick. Then it's all in the pick. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

That 'lesson' with Carol Kaye.....................is he for real ???

Jawdroppingly appalling and clumsy technique - and he allows someone to put this up on Youtube ???

Carol Kaye is so polite.......like to imagine what she was really thinking............................

Kaye says: 'I'm teaching him how to play bass, isn't that funny, that's hilarious really, there's a few zeros difference here'.

I guess she's referring to his many millions compared to her fewer millions.

Gene can be an enormous prick at times, humble and humorous at others, but is a pretty genuine WYSIWYG guy by all accounts.

I believe he's a pretty underrated bass player, and not one to shout about how good and tasteful his long melodic lines were on those 70s Kiss records.  Great tone too!

Edited by James Nada

3 hours ago, SeeBread said:

I'm still split on him. He seems like a nice enough guy, but how can anyone have so much experience and still be so clueless. Maybe he's just on the greatest windup mission ever conceived. In which case, bravo Gene. 

One simple question: Why are we talking about this? 

Answer: Because Gene Simmons has uttered something controversial.

That utterance has achieved what he wanted, people talking about Gene Simmons.

NEXT...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grenadilla said:

Seriously , have you noticed that too much treble on stage is exactly right for much of the room ? 

Yep, found that out a good few years back, had a great on-stage sound, right amount of lows/highs, went out front to check levels, boomy sludge fest.