Why become a member? ×

My dad, bass in the sixties

BrunoBass

37 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I've only seen red ones in the flesh. Was sunburst the only other option? 

From Steve Russell's Hofner site ...

'... For the first year or so, the guitar was finished in "russet-mahogany", but this then changed to the brighter "Cherry Red" finish that is synonymous with the Verithin. Some of the very last guitars were finished in brown/yellow sunburst...'

On 12/04/2018 at 13:17, Cat Burrito said:

Very cool pictures.

I have pics of my Dad in the 60s where he was drumming around Portsmouth / Southsea area. I'll save them for Drumchat! :biggrin:

Please share. Here's my dad playing Sax (his main instrument) and also playing the fiddle on the Victory.

Dad on Victory018.jpg

Browning archive 092.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Please share. Here's my dad playing Sax (his main instrument) and also playing the fiddle on the Victory.

Dad on Victory018.jpg

My old man wasn’t really musical , but he was in charge of giving out the rum rations during his national service , he made friends quite easily in them days :D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 13/04/2018 at 21:45, BreadBin said:

Mine was in a band called 25 Views of Worthing. He played the bass.

@BreadBincan't remember if I  posted this elsewhere,  but  25 Views of Worthing finally released their "lost" album. I knew Roger Hillier back in Watford. Sadly,  Mark Sugden, their drummer, died a couple of years ago. 

34 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

@BreadBincan't remember if I  posted this elsewhere,  but  25 Views of Worthing finally released their "lost" album. I knew Roger Hillier back in Watford. Sadly,  Mark Sugden, their drummer, died a couple of years ago. 

Ah thanks for the update. My mum (also now sadly passed) was in touch with Mark Sugden and had told me it was happening. 

I'll look out for it. 👍

Edit - I just found this interview with Roger Hillier, very interesting! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2020/12/twenty-five-views-of-worthing-interview.html%3famp=1

Edited by BreadBin

On 02/02/2019 at 12:17, BreadBin said:

He was in the Watford area - Rickmansworth iirc. I haven't heard of 64 spoons though :)

Only just saw this thread - apropos of nothing in particular, 64 Spoons was the second live band 16-year old me ever saw, some point in the summer of 1978, at the White Horse on Chatham Hill, Kent. The local punky pub rock band we'd gone to see had cancelled & these guys filled in. Their weird brand of proggy jazz wasn't at all what I expected, but they were nice guys & happy to chat to me & my mates about music & the band we were planning to start. They were fronted by a prodigiously talented youth called Jakko Jakszyk, who went on to do various interesting things including playing with Level 42 & currently fronting King Crimson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Ah thanks for the update. My mum (also now sadly passed) was in touch with Mark Sugden and had told me it was happening. 

I'll look out for it. 👍

Edit - I just found this interview with Roger Hillier, very interesting! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2020/12/twenty-five-views-of-worthing-interview.html%3famp=1

Great read, thanks for posting.  Can hear Roger's voice when reading it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Only just saw this thread - apropos of nothing in particular, 64 Spoons was the second live band 16-year old me ever saw, some point in the summer of 1978, at the White Horse on Chatham Hill, Kent. The local punky pub rock band we'd gone to see had cancelled & these guys filled in. Their weird brand of proggy jazz wasn't at all what I expected, but they were nice guys & happy to chat to me & my mates about music & the band we were planning to start. They were fronted by a prodigiously talented youth called Jakko Jakszyk, who went on to do various interesting things including playing with Level 42 & currently fronting King Crimson.

A while after my dad left 25 Views of Worthing he was employed by Mike Oldfield to set up his recording studio. There is a tale of a house party at our house where there was a jam session with my dad on bass, Mike on guitar and Jakko on drums!

• Like 2

My dad played a lot in late 70's, rock and roll, blues. I have only paper pictures, but don't know where exactly are they. His dream bass was Macartny violin bass, but he only got some brand copy. His best bass was Charvel with Jackson pickups, witch i used later to start learning the bass. 

21 hours ago, Bassassin said:

never went to or even recall a single gig at the white horse ... the tam o'shanter 100 yards up the hill is a completely different matter !

Not my dad, but a bandmate's...

Back in the 90s I was in a pub rock/r'n'b covers band in Swindon. Very nice bunch of guys, we gigged a fair bit in the town's pubs over a couple of years. When I first met up with them to have a chat (pretty much the only audition I had :lol: ) the singer Tony mentioned in passing that his dad had played bass in the 60s. Turned out his dad was Brian Gregg from Johnny Kidd & The Pirates... that's him on "Shakin' All Over".