Why become a member? ×

Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac..?

wateroftyne

On 10/04/2018 at 15:50, casapete said:

Don't think I've ever seen Mike Campbell sing, but maybe his guitar virtuosity more than compensates?

Likewise Neil Finn maybe isn't a 'lead guitar' player as such, but has the voice ( and songs ).

Whatever, it will surely require some thought but no doubt will be interesting.

This, MC for the fancy guitar bits & NF for singing especially harmonies.

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I often wonder when so many  famous musicians hit 50-60  they don't just call it a day and do something else totally different and worthwhile. After all it's not like most of them need the money. My old folks hadn't even met when the original FM was doing their thing and I'm just 3 years off the half century. Time for FM to knock it on the head once and for all

You might be surprised just how many  actually DO need the money. Those lifestyles and alimony cheques don’t pay for themselves. ;) LOL!

10 hours ago, tauzero said:

Yes, the Reynolds Girls' career certainly demonstrated how unpopular Fleetwood Mac were.

Yes, because being popular is where it's at. Personally, I'd just as soon listen to the Reynolds Girls that any of FMs turgid nonsense... 

• Like 2

On 13/04/2018 at 10:15, JellyKnees said:

Yes, because being popular is where it's at. Personally, I'd just as soon listen to the Reynolds Girls that any of FMs turgid nonsense... 

amen to that

On 12/04/2018 at 22:19, chris_b said:

The other surprising thing (or maybe not) is how easy some people can decide that a musicians career should be over for no other reason than they don't like them anymore!

I'm not saying they MUST. When a musician is constantly reinventing and doing different things, great, they should go on till the end of their days. When it's a case of them becoming their own tribute acts churning out the same old stuff from eaons ago that's a bit sad

Without trying to sound patronising, years ago I'd have said there's probably a lot of stuff a lot people shouldn't be doing. Since getting older and learning to just let go of the stuff that really doesn't matter I wish FM all the best with a new tour. If they want to play and there's folks that want to see/hear them then who am I to tell them, or anyone else they shouldn't? 

If you don't want to see them then don't go, seems fairly simple to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not saying they MUST. When a musician is constantly reinventing and doing different things, great, they should go on till the end of their days. When it's a case of them becoming their own tribute acts churning out the same old stuff from eaons ago that's a bit sad

There were a lot of people who thought FM mk2 should never have existed. Good job they didn't have their way.

It a sad world if you can't go out and play your own back catalogue because of some arbitrary "rule". I dislike Susan Boyle but wouldn't dream of suggesting that she should not sing to her own fans. 

If FM can sell enough tickets for a stadium or arena world tour then they are more relevant to the music business than anyone playing on Basschat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

There were a lot of people who thought FM mk2 should never have existed. Good job they didn't have their way.

It a sad world if you can't go out and play your own back catalogue because of some arbitrary "rule". I dislike Susan Boyle but wouldn't dream of suggesting that she should not sing to her own fans. 

If FM can sell enough tickets for a stadium or arena world tour then they are more relevant to the music business than anyone playing on Basschat.

I'm not saying ageing bands SHOULDN'T be gigging but  I look at  multi millionaire septegenarians like the Stones still trotting out tunes they wrote in their 20s and wonder why they are. I'm only stating an opinion, not making an arbitrary rule

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not saying ageing bands SHOULDN'T be gigging but  I look at  multi millionaire septegenarians like the Stones still trotting out tunes they wrote in their 20s and wonder why they are. I'm only stating an opinion, not making an arbitrary rule

Probably because it makes them lots of dosh, they might still enjoy it, and it's all they've ever known? ^_^

• Like 1

Just now, spectoremg said:

I'd argue that LB made them the band they are today as opposed to the failing blues outfit they were before he came along. Touring as a brand's a bit odd. 

I guess they'll be reviving Albatross?

While they were failing, they weren't really a blues outfit just prior to the B/N era. And they had some great tunes.