Why become a member? ×

Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac..?

wateroftyne

20 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Mike Campbell isn’t a frontman.

Don't think I've ever seen Mike Campbell sing, but maybe his guitar virtuosity more than compensates?

Likewise Neil Finn maybe isn't a 'lead guitar' player as such, but has the voice ( and songs ).

Whatever, it will surely require some thought but no doubt will be interesting.

They need a good Male singer to cover LB’s vocals on a load of their top tunes. Finn makes sense in that context. Campbell playing The Chain though... drool!

I’m imagining the band and management meeting...
“So, we’ve sacked Linds, any old guitarists we could get back for the tour?”
“Danny, Jeremy and Pete?”

<pause>

“Hmmmm... I can see a few, erm, ‘issues’ arising on a stadium mega-tour...”
“What about Rick Vito or the other one... Benny? Bobby? Barry? ...Billy! That’s it, Billy! There were a couple of Bobs and Dave’s too, if I recall correctly.”
“Well, if we can barely remember them...”
“Hey, what if we got a couple of famous rockstar chums from bands with their own huge global fan-bases to join us for the tour?”
[rest of band...] “KER-CHINGGGG!”

• Like 1

Neil Finn is a pretty handy guitarist, has a great on stage persona, and I think is one of the greatest songwriters alive. I like the idea of him joining Fleetwood Mac and I look forward to seeing if they come up any new material together too.

• Like 1

It's quite striking reading this thread that people seem fine with yet another iteration of Mac whereas in another thread the latest version of Yes was referred to as a tribute band.

Personally I know nothing about either band,  The only Mac stuff I've ever really liked is the Peter Green era stuff, which, as far as I know, was about 20 line up changes ago.

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

This is one of the best rhythm sections of all time.

I used to see the original band in the pubs and clubs, so I'd happily watch them with any front line.

Mick's been relying on a stunt drummer more and more recently. I guess age gets to all of us...

• Like 1

I thought I'd read a while ago that this upcoming tour was to be their last, if so it seems odd doing a 'farewell' tour with a new line up. 

Also read last night that LB hadn't so much been fired rather than just unwilling to tour at the moment. When the tour was being discussed the other four were eager to do it but LB wanted to concentrate on his solo album, so the rest said "fair enough, we'll do it without you". Apparently he's still part of Fleetwood Mac, just unavailable to tour at the moment, make of that what you will. 

I often wonder when so many  famous musicians hit 50-60  they don't just call it a day and do something else totally different and worthwhile. After all it's not like most of them need the money. My old folks hadn't even met when the original FM was doing their thing and I'm just 3 years off the half century. Time for FM to knock it on the head once and for all