Why become a member? ×

Hi from Glasgow.

Desbass

This is the equivalent of blowing into an SM 58 and saying "Is this on?" I hope i'm typing in the right place so I'll keep going and see what happens!

I've been playing bass since 1973 when my brother, who played in a folk band, asked me to swap my reed organ for an "ELECTRIC GUITAR" because he needed the keyboard for a couple of tunes. When the guitar arrived it turned out to be an Ibanez short scale bass and a Zenta practice amp and, even though I'm left handed, it was a right hand model and I've been playing back to front ever since! I have played in an assortment of bands since then from working mens social clubs to bands that wrote thier own stuff , rock and blues bands and now am playing in an "Americana" band doing everything from Hank Williams to Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. I've been observing this group from the sidelines for a while and think that its mainly comprised of pretty decent , knowledgegable, and fun types of guys and gals so I've decided to sign up. Hope to continue to enjoy the banter and, despite the saying, "this old dog CAN learn new tricks! Cheers , Des

Hi there. Still don't know if I'm posting on the correct bit of the site but just wanted to say thanks for all the "welcome to the group" replies and to clear up what I meant about playing back to front on my original post. What I was refering to was that despite my being a "leftie" in everything from writing , playing snooker/billiards etc, and  just about everything else I did or played, no one thought about telling me that you could get left handed bass guitars or even switching the bass around and stringing the other way up so I went against everything that felt natural and learned to play "normaly" (although it didn't feel that way for a long time!). I now use that as an excuse for any less than perfect lines I play although some people say it still sounds like I'm trying to play the wrong way round most of the time! Cheers , Des

I never really understood the left handed instrument thing. If you learn violin, cello or piano you do it one way round regardless of hand preference. And having your fingering hand be the dominant one is an advantage, I'd have thought. Fair enough classical guitar needs a lot of dexterity with both hands but for pick-guitar, most styles of fingered bass and certainly for any bowed stringed instrument the hard stuff is in the left hand. Isn't it an advantage to lefties? Why would you swap round? 

That's bothered me for years, thanks for the opportunity to get it off my chest. 

30 minutes ago, magee said:

I never really understood the left handed instrument thing...

Be careful; I got slaughtered when I dared suggest such a notion a few years back. There are some folks who take umbrage at any such idea. Just sayin. ;) Tin hat time..!

50 minutes ago, magee said:

I never really understood the left handed instrument thing. If you learn violin, cello or piano you do it one way round regardless of hand preference. And having your fingering hand be the dominant one is an advantage, I'd have thought. Fair enough classical guitar needs a lot of dexterity with both hands but for pick-guitar, most styles of fingered bass and certainly for any bowed stringed instrument the hard stuff is in the left hand. Isn't it an advantage to lefties? Why would you swap round? 

That's bothered me for years, thanks for the opportunity to get it off my chest. 

I agree, probably an excuse to sell instruments at an even higher mark-up!

My daughter is very much a left-handed person in everything she does - except when playing the guitar!

Can you get left handed double basses? If not then how do people cope if they swap between a left handed electric bass and an upright?

21 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Be careful; I got slaughtered when I dared suggest such a notion a few years back. There are some folks who take umbrage at any such idea. Just sayin. ;) Tin hat time..!

Come on now, when did a bit of umbrage hurt anyone?