Why become a member? ×

Fender Studio Bass Restoration

Sharkfinger

Not sure this really qualifies as a build but thought I would document the progress.

Bought a Fender Studio Bass amp off eBay couple months ago because I've always wanted a valve bass head and this looked like it would go for a decent price, because it was pretty tatty, and.... it did!  Arrived not quite working correctly but it's now been professionally fixed and serviced and is fully working.  Took a chance on it being delivered instead of collecting... live and learn.

TBH, I don't know if I'm going to keep it as it's  not as loud as I'd like through my (admittedly small) cabs and because it will only handle an 8 Ohm load I can't use multiple cabs. Might require more cab purchases, which is always a good thing! ;)

Anyway, it's looking pretty shabby so my plans are to re-cover it with tolex (at some point, maybe not first), put a silver grill cloth on and put the proper knobs on.  

I've bought the grill cloth and wood to make the surround for it, so let's see how we get on....

IMG_20180320_2044452.jpg

Edited by Sharkfinger
  • Like 1

I've banged a frame for the front together but forgot to take photos of progress.  Here's the (almost) finished item.  It's held together with staples.

However, when I put it in place to check, I've realised I've gotten something wrong.  I've made it to be just shy of being flush with the front of the amp but it juts out from the control panel, which looks wrong a quick check on Google images for other fender head confirms this.  

Using a bit of left-over wood, I can see the type I bought is actually correct but needs to be on it's wide side against the amp, not the narrow.  Oh well, back to B&Q for more wood and staples.  Might glue it as well next time and hopefully will remember to take progress photos.

IMG_20180411_1700275.jpg

IMG_20180411_1701130.jpg

On 4/12/2018 at 08:00, Norris said:

If you're going to glue it maybe consider mitering the corners i.e. cut at 45°. That will give you a slightly bigger gluing surface. I'd probably still put a staple across the join as well 

That's exactly what I'm going to do.  Got a mitre box, "mitres well" use it. Ha ha, insanely funny joke there.  Will re-use the long bits and mitre them but don't have enough of the original bits to make the sides long enough, so need to buy another short length.

Edited by Sharkfinger
adding insanely funny joke

Got a new strip of wood to do the vertical sides and mitered the existing horizontal ones.  Then dug out some mitre bond to hold in place and stapled them as well for good measure.  I filed down the sawn ends to try to make them as flat as possible, what with my terrible sawing skills, even with a mitre box.

Before I got too involved, offered it up to the amp to check.  Oh dear, good thing I did because it's 'shorter' on one side, when it was chopped off the amp and had a new bottom put on.  Didn't expect that.  Had to pull it apart and 'trim' the vertical lengths.  Put it together and check again and all is good.  

Then did the angled bit on the left where the Fender badge is going to go and put a diagonal brace on the other side.  

Sprayed it black with general purpose black spray paint.

IMG_20180412_1753325.jpg

IMG_20180412_1755310.jpgIMG_20180412_1758385.jpg

IMG_20180412_1813048.jpg

IMG_20180412_1819226.jpg

IMG_20180412_1822517.jpgIMG_20180412_1828120.jpg

IMG_20180412_1910501.jpg

Edited by Sharkfinger
  • Like 1

Managed to spare an hour or so over the weekend for this. 

Now the paint is dry, put it face down on the grill cloth and folded over one side and stapled it down.  Then did the same with the top, then cut it where it overlaps.

Cut the cloth diagonally at the corners, so there wouldn't be too much of a 'bump' there, then folded over, stapled and cut again.

Thankfully, still fits into the front of the amp.  Phew, that's a relief.  

Now put the 'hook' part of some hook and loop (velcro) on the case but seem to have run out of 'loop'.  Holds itself in well enough for now, so getting on with putting the badge on the front.

Ta-da!  There we go.  Badge needs repositioning a bit more to the right but that's essentially it.

Now, tried one of the new (genuine Fender) knobs I bought and they fit fine but the but either the '1' or the '10' will line up with the line on top but not both, so clearly not the right ones, so will have to return them and try to find the part number for the originals.

IMG_20180415_1411167.jpg

IMG_20180415_1412586.jpg

IMG_20180415_1414202.jpg

IMG_20180415_1416121.jpg

IMG_20180415_1420491.jpg

IMG_20180415_1422400.jpg

IMG_20180415_1427022.jpg

IMG_20180415_1434349.jpg

IMG_20180415_1443163.jpg

Edited by Sharkfinger
  • Like 3

Have replaced the knobs with proper Fender ones.  Wow, they're expensive for what they are!  Couldn't find the 'correct' EQ knobs with plus and minus values, which is apparently because they're rare as hen's teeth. 

Repositioned the decal but the cloth looks a bit loose and baggy, so might try to tighten it a bit.

Anyway, it will do for now until I get enough time to re-cover it with new tolex.

IMG_20180418_1527282.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Yes, it works a treat. Try hair dryer first though - hot air gun can be a little too aggressive (I once nearly melted grillcloth by being too enthusiastic)

Don't have a hot air gun, so will have to nick the other half's hair dryer for a bit.

Edited by Sharkfinger

13 minutes ago, discreet said:

Nice work. So much better than before! :)

18 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Looks great...lovely job !

Thanks guys.  Problem is, it highlights how tatty the tolex is.  Was planning to leave it a while as a bit short of time and cash now but....

The hair-dryer trick didn't work for me.  Ended up un-stapling one long side, pulling it tight and stapling it again.  Then put velcro on the back to hold in place.  Doesn't look much different but photo taken in same place as first one, to allow direct comparison.

IMG_20180426_2018452.jpg